Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

crosscheck...Anantara related help please...

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

You mentioned using Doi and her husband as guide/driver. Do you have a contact for them or did you arrange it through the Anantara? I think Teaghan and I would be interested in a day out during our stay in August, if I can drag her away from the elephants.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM

We hired Doi through the Anantara. Teaghan can have it all - You can easily do elephants and a tour on the same day. Just let Doi know your interests and when you want to return and she'll come up with a great tour. We started at 8am and were back at the Anantara by 2pm, in plenty of time to give the elephants their afternoon bath.

We created our own 3-country tour, leaving out the stops on the preset Anantara tour that we didn't think would interest the boys. We visited two Burmese villages, a pagoda, a monastery where we met six-year old novice monks, a small jade factory in Mae Sai, and then took a longboat to the Lao "duty-free" island where we had noodles for lunch.

The Anantara is now offering tours into the interior of Laos to a previously untouristed hilltribe village. It was a FULL day and super expensive (I think $240 pp), but we saw the photos of some guests that went, and it looked incredible.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

kim,

You can hire guides and drivers at the front desk of the Anantara and make your own itinerary as crosscheck states.

We did this one day and made our own itinerary which included 2 hillside tribes, Mae Sai and the jade factory and a short 3 hr trip into Myanmar at Tichlek(sp) which included a Shan village and the town Buddhist temple tour along with some shopping at the bazaar they have there.

We are planning a return to the Anantara in Aug 2008 in conjunction with an Indonesian adventure during the wet season(in Thailand) to see the difference in the water volume in the surrounding rivers that our guides have had told us about so I am glad that you will be there in August 2007 with a report on how it was .

FYI...we also hired a Thai guide named Sandy through the Anantara desk who was very friendly,informed and just a delight to be with. She lives in Mai Sae but works through the Anantara and has her own side business.

Ask for "Tom" if you hire a driver from the hotel or if your plan includes a hotel limo pickup at the airport. Linda still calls him the "Thai Elvis"(she says he's a hunk)whatever that is. Have fun!

Aloha!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Before I arrived at the Anantara, I asked them to send me a list of their recommendations of what to see in the area, and also the cost of a car, driver and guide for a private tour. The prices seemed really high so I did some investigating on my own.

I found a company based in Bangkok called People in Touch. I dealt with Vuddy Wannaprasert who can be reached on his mobile at 019803809 or 098516632 or by email at either [email protected] or [email protected]. He came back to me with some identical recommendations as the hotel, but at exactly half the price. He had additional information waiting for me in the room when we checked in.

We ended up doing a whole day tour with a wonderful guide named Waew(female) whose excellent English, knowledge of the history and culture of the area and eagerness to customize the day to our interests were as good as any guide I have had in Asia.

I'm sure the hotel guides are quite good, but sometimes you can save a lot of money by going outside.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. All info very helpful.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Lindsey, I sent e-mail to the two addresses you gave. The first, to Vuddy, works, but he no longer works with that company, so he sent my mail to someone else who has yet to reply. The second address, mkpeoplein...does not work, the mail bounces do to address cannot be found. Thank you anyway, though!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Kim,
Sorry to hear that those contacts are no longer active. I am headed back up to that area myself in April and was planning to get in touch with them. If Vuddy's referral comes through for you, please post any info, if you feel it's worth sharing.
have a great trip!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I'll post anything I come across that seems good. We still have plenty of planning time...we will keep looking at options.