Hiring car and driver

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiring car and driver

Can anyone recommend a reliable firm or private person, who will provide a car, driver and English speaking guide for tours round Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai and then Chiang Mai.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM

East-West Siam. They have a website. They mostly deal with travel agents, but they indicated to me that they would provide services directly. I used them through a travel agent, Innovasian.com. They were good. You could also see whether Sergeant Kai at ChiangMaitours.com can set you up. We used his services in Chiang Mai. he was excellent.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM

your hotel in that area may offer some of these services...i found that there was very little offered in the far north as far as hiring drivers, etc...i rented a car in CR airport and it worked out well...driving was easy and there was NO traffic and only a few roads to choose from
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I don't know where you are staying, but when I stayed at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle, the hotel found me a car and driver and the concierge helped us decide on an itineraary based on our interests. It worked perfectly.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Before I arrived at the Anantara, I asked them to send me a list of their recommendations of what to see in the area, and also the cost of a car, driver and guide for a private tour. The prices seemed really high so I did some investigating on my own.

I found a company based in Bangkok called People in Touch. I dealth with Vuddy Wannaprasert who can be reached on his mobile at 019803809 or 098516632 or by email at either [email protected] or [email protected]. He came back to me with some identical recommendations as the hotel, but at exactly half the price. He had additional informatioin waiting for me in the room when we checked in.

We ended up doing a whole day tour with a wonderful guide named Waew(female) whose excellent English, knowledge of the history and culture of the area and eagerness to customize the day to our interests were as good as any guide I have had in Asia.
On return to the hotel we compared notes with other guests who went on the hotel tours at double the price and they did not see half as much. Even the hotel concierge agreed that it's a better deal to book outside.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Lindsey, the hotel tours at the Anantara are very pricey. To clarify, I did NOT take the hotel tours, but asked them to recommend a driver to hire.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Hello Lucyhda,

We used a guide named Pong in Chiang Mai. He also took us to the Golden Triangle and Mae Sa (near the Burmese border). You can contact him at [email protected]
You can tell him that Betty and Tony from Hawaii recommended him. You can negotiate price with him. You can ask him to take you to place where the locals go. His English is excellent.