Bitten by the Bali bug

Search

Bitten by the Bali bug

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bitten by the Bali bug

I've just returned from Bali after a gap of 27 years and it was amazing to find the culture intact! I was lucky to be there while they were celebrating Galungan and Kuningan (their equivalent of Christmas) so witness various temple celebrations. The Balinese are such a beautiful race. I'm now thinking about going back in September for the writers Festival!
Bali has taken over from Bangkok as my new favourite destination.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM

I love Bali

I've organised a group trip next April with three families including teenagers and a few other hangers on, staying in Dyana Villas in Seminyak and a villa in the ricefields for the final week. We have known each other since prenatal classes 17 yrs ago and we travel well together.

I'm looking forward to happening on temples out of the blue, the people tell us about their metaphysical beliefs etc.

We are off to Thailand and Cambodia in October, but I'm more excited about Bali in April 2008. Go figure.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Hi ozchinois,

Can you tell us more about your trip? I'm also planning a vacation to Bali in April/May 2008 and would love to hear about where you stayed, cultural activities and sites you really enjoyed, etc.

Thanks!

Jana
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

I stayed in Villa Sungai in Cepaka. It's in the middle of a village (and therefore you can observe how the locals live) and I was waited on hand and foot by 8 staff. The villa provided a car and driver and you just have to pay for the petrol. Shopped in Ubud and bought quite a few big tote bags made of pandan leaf and some of brightly coloured plastic. Shopped in Seminyak at the local boutiques and did some sightseeing (rice fields and temples) in the north and along the east coast. Rest of the time I was having massages, body scrubs, facials and just lazed about the villa.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

can you please tell me more about Villa Sungai. Is there a cook to prepare Breakfast/dinner? I like to know the surrounding of the villa ( such as tropical, quiet,private)? How did you book the villa? Is there a contact web site or? I assume, the villas staff will arrange the spa services and can get that done at the villa??? What kind of sight seeing did you do? The driver and the car (did the driver wait for you while you were out shopping, eating and etc). thank you!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Sorry clear for the late response.

http://www.bali-villasungai.com

Highly recommended if you have 6 to share the 3BR villa. The service is quite exceptional. Yes, they have a cook who will prepare meals for you, you just pay for the cost of ingredients. Breakfast and laundry are included.

Yes, the villa organised the spa sessions, there is a pre-arrival form to fill. Contact details are on the website.
It is set by the river and in the middle of a village so you are amongst the locals. There are a few other villas nearby. It can be a very quiet spot but when I was there an elderly local passed away and the funeral proceedings can be heard during the day as the dirge was via loudspeakers. But it didn't bother me as it stopped by 10.00pm.
the sightseeing is dictated by the guests, ie you can tell them where you want to go or you ask them for advice. You just pay for the petrol.

I came across these Bali magazines and was quite impressed. There are so many beautiful places to stay in Bali. I hear the Chedi Club is like Aman without the high rates.

http://www.theyakmag.com

http://www.hellobalimagazine.com
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:26 AM

HI Ozchinois,

Thank you! How many days did you stay at villa Sungai? Did you get any kind of discount for the room?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

4 nights. I did get a discount because I overindulged and had the whole place to myself and my stay was in between 2 bookings.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Hi ozchinois,

Thanks for the input. May I ask what is the appropriate discount % rate I should expect to get if we rent out the whole place? The website says: $700 per night. Can you tell me what % we can get off the $700 per night. Thank you.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Whether it's 6 people or just 1 you get the whole villa to yourself. So if you rent the villa for 6 I don't think there is a discount unless it's only for one or two of you. Suggest you contact the villa and send them an email to find out. Also rates are better during low season. What I paid for one person was not pro-rata, it was just a little bit less than USD$700. Yes, alot of money but it worked out to be cheaper than an Aman pool suite.