Best flight to Bangkok

Search

Best flight to Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best flight to Bangkok

I am flying to Bangkok from Washington, DC next November-- probably via Tokyo/Narita, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Is there a better way? Is United or ANA better (need to use a STAR alliance carrier)? I've heard transit passengers have to stay in a small waiting room in Narita, and can't go into the terminal during the layover. Anyone have experience with any of this?
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM

The best flight by far is the Thai Air non-stopp from JFK-BKK. I believe they are a Star Alliance carrier. Thai Air is a very good airline and this is the fastest way to get there.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM

In general, Asian carriers are better than US carriers. That said, I fly United in Biz all the time to Asia and it's fine (but not fabulous). But I'd say the best flight is the Thai non-stop between New York and Bangkok. Thai is a Star Alliance partner.

Oh, and if you do fly through Narita you are not kept in a small room, but can wander the terminal, shop duty free, eat sushi, etc and if you are in Biz can visit the lounges.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Confirming what Gpanda said - Thai Airways is a founding member of Star Alliance and the best and quickest way to fly to Bangkok.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Definitely take an asian carrier rather than a US open. I concur that by far the best flight is non stop Thai from NYC which is a member of the Star Alliance. That would definitely be my choice--even if it means staying overnight in NYC the night before. Second choice would be ANA, a very good airline. I would do everything possible to avoid United.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM

some of the european carriers have decent connections as well
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM

The Thai flight is best because it's the fastest and the most comfortable, in all classes. Thai's economy on that flight has far more legroom than United's economy, and Thai's pemier economy is lightyear's ahead of United's economy-plus (far more room, leg rests, much greater recline).
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:33 AM

I fly UA on this route via NRT all the time. I try to upgrade to business class using ff miles. Since I am in the middle of the USA, it is out of the way to go to NYC to catch the Thai flight. But it is possible to fly to LAX and do the Thai flight from there, maybe, sometime?? It's a thought.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Carol, I've also thought about flying to LA to take the Thai non-stop to Bangkok. But I have to admit that I appreciate being in my home city when I land in the US. Back in the "old days" I had to fly to San Francisco or LA to catch a flight to Asia.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Kathie
And I just really prefer to clear customs at OHare rather than on the west coast! I've done it at SF and LAX before, and I just prefer Chicago!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM

In theory I also prefer clearing cutoms in Chicago but I flew to NY last year, stayed with friends for a few days and then took the thai air flight out. It was heaven. Coming back I landed at 6:30AM; took a shuttle bus to LaGuardia, got on an earlier flight than I had booked and was in my apartment in Chicago by 11AM. FABULOUS! Would do it again in a minute.

That said, because of ff miles -- this trip I am flying Japan Air -- Chicago/Tokyo/Bangkok in business but I LOVED the thai flight. I particularly loved the timing of the flight -- got into bangkok at 4PM and left bangkok at 1AM. Since I was staying at the Oriental they let me check out at 10:30PM so I essentially got a free night. Best flight by far I have ever taken.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM

We are flying Houston- Chicago-Narita-Bangkok in January. I'm using ff miles on United. The flight Chicago to Narita has 2 x 5 x 2 seating and we have the 2 seats.
Getting an aisle seat with no middle seat is why I chose this route. It gives the wife her window seat as well.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Received an email from Cathay Pacific that had some sales on flights to Bangkok and other Asian destinations.
( I don't fly with them from the U.S. I think I might have used Cathay for a connection to Hong Hong years ago and still get the sales info.)

I stick with one airline all the time, a difference of $50 or even $100 is a small price to pay for all of the bonus miles and perks that will give me a free ride in the future.

From Boston on NWA to Det, to Japan to BKK is around 19000 miles, with a gold card that is doubled to 38000 miles. Fly two times and the third flight is free! That alone kinda makes up for the extra $50 or $100 I might have to pay over a cheaper airline. Not to mention all of the free upgrades to business class that I would miss out on!

"I am flying to Bangkok from Washington, DC next November-- probably via Tokyo/Narita, but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Is there a better way? Is United or ANA better (need to use a STAR alliance carrier)? I've heard transit passengers have to stay in a small waiting room in Narita, and can't go into the terminal during the layover."

If you have a Star Alliance gold card or higher you will get use of vip lounge for free, even with a cheap ticket! You must have an awful long wait between flights to be that big a problem! Usually my flights through Narita are pretty close together.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM

We're flying IAD-LHR-BKK in April on British Air. Another option is IAD-ICN-BKK on Korean Air. We flew Korean Air business class last Christmas and it was excellent! Great price too.
Mike