Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Additional flights on Bangkok Air in the high season?

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Bangkok air put on more flights during the high season? We are trying to get from Luang Prabang to BKK in Dec. to make a 5:30pm international connection. I also just posted a question about safety of Laos Air
Thanks for any air information
We will be flying BKK- Hanoi PP - Siem Reap SR- Vieetine- Luang Prabang - Bkk
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM

If at all possible I would try to get to Bangkok the day before your international connection. It would be terrible to miss it if you have anything except full fare tickets which carry no penalty for changing them, provided there is space on another flight soon. December is quite peak season.

Which of those legs are flight? A Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass might be worth looking into for the latter portions of the trip.

Lao Aviation is reported OK if you avoid the old Chinese planes, which is easy to do unless you are flying to remote places, which you are not. If you are very concerned about Lao's safety, you might consider going by land...but understand the the traffic fatality rate is very high...in Thailand, to as a matter of fact. Basically Asia is not a place with road safety as a priority. I'd fly, the statistics favor it.

I haven't noticed that Bangkok Airways schedules extra flights, but in the past there have extra flights added between Samui and Bangkok during peak travel periods as demand was so far beyond capacity. The only way we knew of these flights was because our hotel was confirming our tickets for us and they knew.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM

In the past, Bangkok Air has not added additional flights to/from LP.

You'll have to decide on Lao for yourself. I wouldn't get on any of their old Chinese or Russian planes for sure. In addition to a number of crashes, they used to have lots of inflight incidents (indicators of poor maintainence and pilot training). While there have not been any recent crashes, I don't have access to current data on inflight incidents.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM

PS I forgot to add, I agree with Kim - get there a day before your international flight.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:55 PM

i agree...
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like Lao avation is getting new planes and expanding their schedule. It would be nice to only transit in BKK. It is such a hassle to do customs check into a hotel and go back to the airport the next day.

But we may have no other option.

Thanks as always for all your help.

Kathie aren't you just loving our wonderful weather and long days?