Best Bar / Lounge in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we would like to know which bar/lounge would you recommend in Bangkok. We would like a trendy/fancy/thai place to go after dinner (no like common nightclubs /discos). Pls advice.thks
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM

sirocco is quite nice althogh i have not been there...it is at the top of a builing at the corner of new road and either silom or sathorn....the bar atop the banyon tree is also interesting....the bar off the lobby of the shangri-la in the angelini restaurant is nice with american jazz being sung.....the metropolitan hotel is an in place so i am told here....
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM

what do you mean by thai place...

-do a mean a place full of thai's and violinist plays hotal california and Zombi By the cranberies..

this site may help
http://www.bangkokgigguide.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:40 PM

try a look at this site: www.chicasia.com

you may have seen that it was suggested on fodors earlier today
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Check out www.timeout.com/bangkok-they have some great recommendations.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Lyndie is right on about Time Out-the TO Guide always has the hot clubs, bars and restaurants to check out.

JC-the Q bar, and Bed Supperclub are two of the hottest-and what I like about them is that they are not 100 percent farang/tourist-the crowd is evenly mixed. Q Bar is where the Hollywood celebs go when they're in BKK, it's just down the street from Bed, on soi 11, so you can visit them both. They both have a cover charge of 600 baht, but it's really good, b/c it includes 2 drinks-any of your favorite poisons.

I liked Q bar (it's listed in the world's best bars site)-but I loved Bed-couldn't get enough of their dance scene! I unfortunately did not get to go to the restaurant side of Bed, we always managed to get there after the kitchen closed!

Here you go: www.qbarbangkok.com and
www.bedsupperclub.com
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Wow Q is one of the best in da world. I couldnt' stant the place. then again my favorite place is a dumpy hip hop joint that smels like urine.. unfortunatly it has recieved lots of air time on TV and the "IN" crowd is ruining the place, way too many rich kids thinking they are 50 cent..
BEDS has basicly the same clientel and music as Q but at least the place looks really cool..
============
the above places are stright up dance clubs I think Jcontr-- was looking for a lounge
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your advice guys, I am browsing the sites you provided, and Im making a list also.

Yes Im looking for a cool lounge, not a crowded dance club, but we are prepared to try them all!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM

J-

I would make a correction here-Q Bar doesn't become "straight up" dance club until after 11:30pm at night-that's when the music starts. I should say it's a wonderful place for a drink upstairs on their outdoor terrace up until then, because you can look down on the entrance and watch everybody pulling up-all the cool farang expat guys and their equally cool Thai girlfriends (and I mean real Thai girlfriends, not just girlfriends for one night!). The night I was there was a fairly professional looking ex-pat crowd-people who lived there who were meeting friends after work.

But Bed Nightclub is IT. One of the coolest, but also the friendliest -just a great mixed crowd, not too big, not smoky (they have some sort of air vents that blow the smoke away). And on the outside, it sort of looks like a big white spaceship has landed-I knew I had arrived at the right place even before someone confirmed it for me.

Believe this or not, the second time I went to Bed, which was about 3 days after my first visit, the very friendly bouncer not only remembered me, he could tell me what I was wearing that night-blew me away! (then he let me in for free-that was mighty nice!)

I've been to some great London clubs-Milk and Honey, Ministery of Sound (also one in BKK) but Bed is in my top three (number 1 is of course Buddha Bar in Paris!). And the plate of fried calamari bar food I had there was delicious too. Go there, or be square!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

alright spygirl, Bed Supper Club is number 1 in my list! I´ve checked their web, and the place seems amazing.. thnks again!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Hands down... SKY BAR at the top of the State Tower. Bob referred to it as Sirocco. Sirocco is the Italian restaurant that is also at this lovely rooftop place. 63 floors up... absolutely the best view of BKK at night. This bar is open air, as is the restaurant. An open air music venue plays live jazz. The atmosphere is a bit Greek, with a Parthenon sort of pillared dome, and huge staircase that you walk down... makes you feel like a star! I do believe this to be the most beautiful bar I've ever seen!! And I don't say that lightly. I've been at the rooftop of the Banyan... it does NOT compare to SKY BAR.
If you go to Skybar, which I recommend highly, be prepared to be dressed up a bit. They do not accept shorts and sandals. For men, a nice shirt and pants.. no jacket needed, for the girls a nice comfy skirt or dress w/comfy shoes... just NOT chunky open toed flat sandals! Dressy sandals or heels would be perfect.

You will be impressed, I promise!
Carol
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Jcontreras... just in case your a male take what SPygirl said about the girl fraind being real girlfrinds with a grain of salt. I'v lived here for a while and now the sceen.

if your a female MMMM yes all the girls are "bring home too mom materieal". cough, cough
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM

orgy; lol, rotf. .
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM

I will add another bar to this listing. It is called the Huntsman. It is located in the basement of the Landmark Building on Sukhumvit, near soi 11. The bar is very nice, not the sleazy type, and the band playing live music is awesome! We went there last night. I was impressed! Add it to the list of great places.
Carol