Blues and Jazz in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which are the best venues for jazz/blues in Bangkok? Any ideas on bars, clubs restaurants etc would be appreciated.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM

There's a lot of jazz/blues in Bangkok. I know that the Sheraton on Sukhumvit has some good jazz and of course at the Oriental there's usually jazz. A lot of hotels have jazz. As for the clubs, I don't have the list on me right now, but this past Dec/Jan when I was in Bangkok for 3 weeks, there were quite a few articles on jazz and who was in town written up in several Asian magazines along with the Bangkok Post. When you get to Bangkok, go to a bookstore and pick up a copy of Bangkok 101 magazine(100Baht) and also flip through the other English/Thai magazines on the stand as there's usually a good list of jazz venues. Kinokuniya bookstore in Emporium Mall at Prom Phong skytrain station has a great selection of English-language magazines. I find magazines there that I can't find other places. I'll look at home as I have the December(?) copy of Bangkok 101 with a picture of the King on the cover playing a jazz instrument. He's very into jazz and is working on a CD with a group. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM

I've been to Saxophone (at Victory Monument) a few years ago. It was a good time! I know Saxophone gets mentioned here on fodors sometimes.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM

Saxophone is always good. There are also still a lot of good jazz places along the road facing the 'back' of Lumpini Park (near Langsuan Road). Brown Sugar was the main spot years ago, but I'm not sure if its still there.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM

i've been to sax and it is great. it was so good, i stayed past midnite, so i had to take a cab back to the hotel, instead of the bts.

take a look at thaiticketmaster, a site that kathie posted here. i found a great jazz concert last dec.

you can go to suk soi 11, and there are a couple of outdoor restaurants that have music nightly, and yes, most of the good hotels usually have lounge music. i like the shangrila main lobby lounge, and the cocktail lounge in angellinis italian restaurnt.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM

also the music in the lounge at the jw marriott is very nice...i 2nd angenelli's
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM

You should check out the Library Lounge at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. The house band plays Monday thru Friday from 6-8pm and also during Sunday Brunch. Then around 9pm, Sean Kelly and Taurey Butler tear it up for a few hours. They often have a guest vocalist join them for a few songs as well. Both bands are well worth seeing!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

Yeah, the Library Lounge is the one I was referring to. That hotel has some good jazz. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Blues, Jazz, Bangkok! can it get any better than this?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM

I almost forgot... there's a jazz/blues combo and singer outside on the 64th floor of State Tower, at Sky Bar and Sirrocco (sp). Not exactly what you'd call a "jazz club" but if you happen to make the trip to Sky Bar you can hear them. Too expensive, per drink, to stay and listen very long, but the view is out of this world from waaaaayyyy up there (and did I mention it's OUTSIDE)!

Also, the Bamboo Bar at the Oriental Hotel is nice. It's a little bit hard to have a conversation while the music plays, but it's a nice place.
Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

FYI: Make reservations at the Sheraton Sukhumvit if you want to listen to the Jazz. It is wonderful, but everyone in Bangkok know this so sometime you cannot get in if you do not have a reservation. The Library is not so big.