Bangkok restaurants

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok restaurants

We'll be visiting Bangkok in two weeks. We have a complimentary dinner at the Sala Rim Naam at the Oriental and wonder if anyone has been there. We're not interested in the dance - how's the food?

Would greatly appreciate any restaurant recommendations, especially those that offer authentic Thai cuisine and French/Italian fine dining.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:12 AM

If the dinner at Sala Rim Naam is complimentary, you might as well go. The food is ok. However, you might have to stay for the Thai dancing since the restaurant is across the river from the Oriental. They have a boat that will take you back at the end of the dancing. The best French restaurant in town is also at the Oriental.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Last year when we were in Bangkok, we had dinner twice at the Thara Thong restaurant, located in the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Fantastic food, service and the decor is breath-taking. Also opened for lunch.

The Royal Orchid also has a great dinner show...Thailand Tonight...with the most delicious buffet / bar-b-que.

A fantastic hotel, will definitely return. Next door to a great shopping center and local stores. And a boat dock. Remember to bargain when shopping.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:37 AM

I agree with the above comments. Dinner at Sala Rim Naam was okay. Dinner at Thara Thong was much better.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Hi Kensington! I found the food to be just OK as well. Not spectacular. However, some of the BEST Italian food I've ever had was in the older Banglamphu district...a place called Cafe Renaissance or something like that, on Phra Athit Rd. Very tasteful Art Nouveau-type decor. Wine's no good though. There are some absolutely fab places to eat on the same road, like the Joy Luck Club. Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply thus far! Very helpful information.

Since food is only okay at Sala Rim Naam, we're now deciding between Thara Thong at Sheraton and Celadon at Sukhothai. Mixed reviews for Celadon - can anyone provide me with more detailed feedbacks?

Thanks so much! Dalaguete - we'll definitely visit Cafe Rennaissance!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM

The Thara Thong at the Sheraton is superb. Other places I've enjoyed for Thai food that aren't in hotels are Harmonique (in the area between the Royal Orchid and the Oriental) and Lemongrass, located over near Sukhumvit.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 07:21 PM

with only 4 nites in bkk, i wouldn't waste my time at sala rim if you are not interested in the dance, besides the seating is very uncomfortable for a westerner.....try harmonique, a short walk from the hotel....biscotti in the regent hotel (italien)...the indian restaurant in the rembrandt hotel, soi 18, sukumvit road.....crepes and co, soi 12, sukumvit road or cabbages and condoms, next door to crepes....lord jim for lunch in the oriental....jesters in the penninsula...the chinese restaurant in the pen also.....