River area vs Sukhumvit in Bangkok ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 4 nts in Bangkok can stay at either the Sheraton Royal Orchid or the Sheraton Sukhumvit using Starwood pts(and we have enough pts to get room upgrades at either one). Do we stay at the Suk because its a better hotel or do we stay at the ROS because of its river location ?? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 03:55 AM

IMO the river is really the only place to be both in terms of location, ease of transport and views. The Sheraton on the river is older, and it is not my first choice, but others on this thread have said the rooms have recently been redone so that may make a difference. I had stayed there many years ago and recall the rooms as being very large, which is a plus. I last had lunch there in January 2002 and the public areas had not been redone and were a little run down. However, if the rooms are good, I think its location is so far superior to the Sukumvit area. Sukumvit is a very busy street in the business area. Being on the river you can take advantage of the quiet, and it is so easy to get around by the shuttle boats, water taxis, etc. You can avoid a lot of traffic that way. You can take a water shuttle to the skytrain stop on the river and then use the subway to get most places that the river can't take you, like Patpong and the Weekend Market.

You can use the river to get to the Grand Palace, Temple of the Dawn, and for a klong tour. The area around the Sheraton and more so down the street around the Oriental has some great shopping. The River City Shopping complex next door to the Sheraton has some great shopping as well, esp for antiques.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Can't answer that as I have stayed only in Sukhumvit. Will be staying at the Marriott Riverside this summer. However do not let the traffic situation put you off Sukhumvit. The skytrain is so quick and easy to use. Also there are some great restaurants in the area. One tip though, if you go on any organised excursions you should find out where the final pick up of guests will be and ,if it is on the skytrain route get there yourself. We spent over an hour travelling into Bangkok for pickups(would have arrived there within 15 minutes of leaving our hotel if we'd used skytrain)
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Stay at the Royal Orchid on the river. If you have enough points, stay in the Towers. I always stay in the Towers, and love the extra amenities and superlative service there.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I stayed in a tower room at the Royal Orchid in November. We were very pleased. The room is adequate. Being in the tower (on points) included a great buffet breakfast every day and free laundry. You can read about our stay there at see my photos at
www.travelswithdiane.com/Bangkok1.html
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

They said at the Royal Orchid that they would upgrade us to a jr suite--but they won't tell me if it is in the towers, if it has a view or if you get laundry service and the b-fast buffet(which I know I will get in the towers. Any thoughts ??
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Generally, the suites at the Royal Orchid give you access to the Towers amenities. I've stayed in suites in the Towers (a Towers Theme Suite on the top floor last time - wonderful) and on suites on other floors - also lovely, though not as special as the Towers Suites. Both kinds of suites included the breakfast buffest, drinks and appetizers in the evening in the Towers lounge, and laundry service. All of the rooms at the Royal Orchid face the river, so all have lovely views.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 07:30 PM

just to take a slightly different approach....i think it depends somewhat on the purpose of your trip and where you plan on spending your time while in bkk....i do however prefer the river locations generally, but we do always also stay in sukumvit area at the jw marriott for shopping and the activities in that area, but the jw is just another lux marriott...could be in any city around the world, until you step out the door....
i have not stayed at the sheration orchid but have been in the public areas many times and i find them dreary...oldish and very convention hotel like.....it is nice being next to river city however....how about splitting your time with 2 days in each place.....it would only take you 1 hour or so to change hotels....???

for tourists, overall, i prefer the river area i think