bangkok hotels for the young and hip?

Jul 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

bangkok hotels for the young and hip?

2 twentysomethings to thailand for 3 weeks..brothers. Want to do some Moi Tai training and see Chain Mai and the southern beaches..any recomendations welcome ! please excuse the sp........
Jul 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM

A typical two week vacation in Thailand consists of time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a beach. There are easy flights between each location. Check out Thai Air, Bangkok Air and Air Asia. Which beach depends on what month you're visiting. The rainy season switches from the west to the east in October.

What hotel depends on your budget. Most of the regulars on this forum are older and not-so-hip. Nonetheless, we may have some suggestions.

You can take a course in Muay Thai. Search this forum and google it.

Also, there are many young people around Khao San Road in Bangkok. They tend to be backpackers on a limited budget. If this applies to you, check out Thorn Tree on Lonely Planet site.
Jul 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM

It depends what your definition of hip is. Filthy, stinking banana-pancake eating hippy backpackers think they are pretty hip and stay at the Khao san road area hotels. Then you have the upscale hipsters that frequent the nicer establishments and hotels (Siam @ Siam hotel).
Jul 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM

Mango
I was just going to mention Siam @ Siam hotel. It's pretty hip.

Jul 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM

there are many trendy newish type places in bangkok especially....i think this forum usually specializes in the more stadid and mundane places unfortunately....

try googling and see what you can find....then you can come here for our comments....
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM

Dogster posted a list of boutique hotels in Bangkok, including Dream and the Eugenia. If you search for boutique hotels Bangkok, you'll find a number of posts.
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM

Pougal,

I believe most serious Muay Thai school will require quite a long period, more than 3 weeks, for proper training but there are some school set up for tourists. Try googling at www.google.co.th and click the "pages from Thailand" button.

Here's a good documentary about Muay Thai: http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=54986

DON'T FORGET TO BUY A GOOD MEDICAL INSURANCE!
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM

Hello,

We were in Bangkok for 3 nights in April and we stayed at the Baiyoke Boutique hotel.

For the cheap price of $40 a night, we were very happy with our choice.

I personally think this hotel is very hip (in its decoration) and the staff is super friendly and extremely helpful.

I loved the location (right in the heart of Pratunam) and not very far from the Central World Mall (some very good restaurants in there).

You can search on the net for pictures and reviews on this hotel as I believe it rated very well, for the budget that it is.

We will definitely stay at this hotel if we return to Bangkok. The boutique hotel is located right behind the Baiyoke Sky Hotel.

In terms of beach areas, we were not too fond of Phuket because it was very commercial and pricey.

We liked an small island by the name of Bamboo Island by Phi Phi Islands as well as another island by the name of Poda Island in Krabi province. These beaches were away from the crowd and very isolated.. They were beautiful...

Good luck in your planning
AnNamX
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM

The Metropolitan. I stayed there and would stay there again. Happy Travels!
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM

Hmm... after a hard day's workout at a Muay Thai school there's nothing like going back to a hip boutique hotel! If your classmate find out where you're staying you'll get the ........
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM

Yes, Carol, it is very hip. The Le Bua is pretty nice too with its rooftop bars.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM

Check out the Dream Hotel and Le Fenix off Suk Soi 15 and Soi 11. They're both considered pretty hip and located near some of the more hip and trendy bars (Q Bar, Bed Supper Club).