Bangkok and Tokyo Hotels

Search

Bangkok and Tokyo Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok and Tokyo Hotels

Recommendations here are invaluable. I am about to pull the trigger on a few hotels for a February trip to Thailand and Japan. Chiang Mai is all set for the first leg of my trip, and based on the glowing reports from Carol, I think that Adelphi Suites would suit me in Bangkok for part two. 5 days in a studio king is a good rate. Carol, do you have any insight on rooms to request, should that be possible? Or does anyone have another thought at the same price - $75 or so per night? Location near the Skytrain seems like a good idea, and I am open to something other than the big-box world-wide hotel chain.

I am headed to Tokyo for another five days post Bangkok and stretching the budget there. Anyone have any experience with the Shibuya Tobu Hotel? Good price of $150 or so, and reports to be in a good location for both train and walking to my interests. Mostly wanting to hear it is decent and clean. Obviously my budget is limited. I may have opportunity to stay at the International House of Japan in Roppongi but not sure that is as well located. I have been to Tokyo once before (loved every minute) but this trip is solo and on a tighter budget. This is a first trip to Thailand and you all have me convinced I will enjoy myself completely.

Also - this is a food centric trip - does anyone know of a 'walking' food tour of Tokyo - a few hours perhaps of food-ness. Elizabeth Andoh is not an option right now and also rich for my budget. Wandering and eating is fun, but I also love to find the back-streets with a little help.

Many thanks for all the insights and behind the scenes laughs you all have provided for lurkers like myself. Learned alot....though still confused about phones....just kidding...lots of info - just need to sort it out.
Forgive the 20 questions.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM

I always recommend the Hotel B Roppongi. It is a modest, but very modern hotel, and always immaculate. It's about 100 meters from the Roppongi subway and train stations. Lots to do in the neighborhood. The small streets behind the hotel are packed with great restaurants..I forget the name but one of my favorite Okonomiyaki restaurants is back there. Ask the hotel for a map with all the restaurants.

Rates seem to be about $134 for nights I picked in February on Agoda.com. Last time I was there, they were very helpful in arranging a hotel in the Hakone area. I'd found it impossible to book and pay online; they reserved the room and talked the Inn into holding our room with no deposit. My ONLY complaint is that the B breakfasts are boring.

The Adelphi suites in Bangkok are very nice for the price. Again in a neighborhood with lots of places to get a great meal. It's only a minute or two walk to the Skytrain station. The hotel staff are very nice and helpful.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:23 AM

www.booking.com for honest recent reviews ranks on all hotels.
www.betterbidding.com for best big city hotel deals
www.amari.com/watergate for $55 for me last value 5 star

Happy Hunting!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:27 AM

Tokyo a while back ihg.com Crowne Plaza metro $90 bidding
priceline.com for me last.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:41 AM

you might also look at the chatrium hotel riverside (serviced apartments) as it is right on the river with a boat to the skytrain...

centre point silom is another option right at the skytrain...

i have a bkk restaurant listing if you would like it ask at:

[email protected]
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM

In Tokyo I love lcuy's reco of the Hotel B in Roppongi. The surrounding neighborhood is a real gem.

Here are a few listings for cheaper business hotels all throughout Japan that I have used over the years. All are very clean with free breakfast and internet included in the price. Coin washers and dryers on the premises. If you are a couple go for the twin room rather than the double for more space.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/

http://tiny.cc/rmgfe

http://www.wh-rsv.com/english/

http://www.sunroute.jp/SunrouteTopHLE.html

You should be able to find something with these.....good luck!

Aloha!
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I have been looking at the Hotel B, but wondered about the Roppongi area at night (I am solo female) - was through there at night a few years ago, but with a male friend and was still approached allot by club staff. Doesnt scare me, just found it annoying. Maybe that is just a small area of Roppongi though?
Have stayed in a Sunroute hotel in Nara and found it perfectly ok for my needs. The Toyoko Inns are also a good option. I appreciate the insights and am now looking at all these options more carefully. Heading to Tokyo after Bangkok is a wakeup after such good room costs in BKK!
Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM

I've been in Roppongi as a solo female, with my husband and with our 12 & 15 year old dughters. Never had any issue or problems. Years ago Roppongi used to be a seedier part of town, but it has cleaned up dramatically, especially now that you have the Roppongi hills, Hyatt, etc. There are still a lot of upstairs clubs, but from all the BMWs and Mercedes parked on the street, they attract pretty well heeled clients.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM

http://www.ezchoicehotels.com/hotel-...amatsucho.html
nice hotel on Yamanote loop line (JR), not far from Roppongi, 6800 yen
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM

We just stayed at the Aloft hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 - close to the Adelphi Suites and was very impressed. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=3211

OK, it is part of a big chain but it doesn't have that sort of feel - very chic, high tech and great opening rates @ 2111 baht++ per night. Will be posting more about it when I write my TR over the next few days.

For a limited budget in a good location in Tokyo we liked http://www.andon.co.jp/