Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok hotels with charm & amenities - any recs?

Aug 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

My new husband and I hope to honeymoon in Thailand (mostly) for 2 weeks in November. We're thinking 3 nights BKK, then 3 nights either Chiang Mai or Siem Riep, 4 nights in Andamann beach areas, then another 2 nights in BKK.

This is our first trip to Asia, and I imagine the first couple days are going to be a little rough with adjusting to the heat, humidity, and time change (we live in L.A.). I'd love to find a hotel in Bangkok that can ease the change with all the modern conveniences (good bed, great shower, maybe satellite TV if we're waylaid), but still feels like Thailand, rather than just a plain tasteful hotel in any urban center. Ideally, I'd like it to be under $200/night; maybe even $150. Is this possible?

The idea of a river view was appealing, so I thought the Marriott might be an option. I worry it might feel a little remote, though - any thoughts? In case this is helpful, we're definitely interested in checking out night markets and street food along with the main Bangkok attractions. Not so interested in clubbing or ultra chic bars. Thanks for any hotel or other suggestions you might have!

Aug 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Bankok last year and we stayed at Lebua near the river. The hotel is modern, the room was huge and the view was great. Here is a trip report with pictures and it also includes a review of the hotel: http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM

i am a champion of the marriott....you will not feel remote there....we think of it as an oasis....yes it is 12 minutes by free boat from the main part of the city but we look at that as an advantage....the river locations make all the difference in the world especially for first time visitors...

if you could stretch your budget at least one stay at the peninsula might work as a celebration of your wedding...maybe at the end of the trip....

use the hotel booking sites to save money too:

www.asiarooms.com
www.agoda.com
www.huahin.20m.com

the marriott boat takes you right to the skytrain in 12 minutes and runs every 15 minutes from early morning to late nite...

i have a bkk restaurant listing should you want it: [email protected]
just ask me for it...

take a look at the amari vogue hotel near to krabi....in that same area there are several other new hotels as well.... we stayed at the sheraton and it was very nice..
the amari is simply fabulous...
the meridien at khao lak is also very nice....

btw, i think the way you have laid out the days in each place is perfect.

you might look at the bangkok air pass for your flying in country and to SR....

you might consider a guide for one day in bkk area....tong's trip to the secret place is tons of fun and can be combined with the floating market...
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM

other bkk hotel options might be the hilton on the river, one of the new hotels that are opening this year: le meridien on suriwongse rd or several along sukhumvit rd...

the holiday inn on plenochit is nice, the newish courtyard in back of the 4 seasons is nice....one of the serviced apartments: centre point silom, centre point wireless, centre point grande or one of their other locations....ascott serviced apartments are all very nice too---more room and reasonable in comparison to a full service hotel, but just as good..

majestic grande hotel just off sukhukmvit on soi 2....sofitel off sukhumvit....

unfortunately the higher rates start on nov 1 so you are stuck with these...
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM

SR is far more interesting than CM, imo...but more costly to get to...
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I'd encourage you to stay on the river in Bangkok. I think it will make all the difference in how Bangkok feels to you. Bob, of course, is a great fan of the Marriott. For me, personally, it fels too far from the hustle bustle of the city, but others do not complain about that. Also, check for specials at some of the other river hotels - sometimes the Pen has good package rates, check the Hilton Millenium and check the Shangi-La.

I've long been a fan of the Towers rooms at the Royal Orchid (the room price includes breakfast, evening drinks and canapes and free laundry). The rooms are not as luxurious as the Pen, for instance, not does it have a big, glitzy lobby. For me, the location is unbeatable.

I consider the Lebua too far from the river to be a true river hotel, but gard liked it.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Oh, and I want to agree with Bob, Visiting the temples ta Angkor is unforgettable. The area is changing fast and the sooner you go the better.

Some people love Chiang Mai. I don't.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Another vote for the Marriott Resort and Spa in BKK on the river- a very nice resort that won't break your budget. Great pool and the junior suite is very nice for the price. Riding the boat over to the skytrain is part of the BKK experience. On the boat you will get a refreshing cold towel as well.
I agree - splurge one or two nights at the Penn- 5 star all the way!
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will definitely look at all the river-side places mentioned. I'm sure the Peninsula would be fab, but after looking at airfares, I think I can skip it.

Thanks also for your thoughts on Chiang Mai vs. Siem Riep. I had been leaning towards Siem Reap since I've heard it would be foolish to miss out on Angkor Wat. But I know many people LOVE Chiang Mai, so it's been a bit confusing.

Now it's time to do research about our beach itinerary...don't worry; I'll browse the threads before posting those questions! Thanks again for all that provided Bangkok input so far; much appreciated.

Aug 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Darn, Sheraton's website says that they are renovating their guest rooms daily through August 31, 2009. That doesn't sound too fun. Has anyone stayed there recently or know how intrusive these renovations are?
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Remember that even if you don't stay at a 5-star hotel, or any other hotel, you can always drop by and ask to see a room and be shown the grounds and faciities....in case you're curious or want to check places out for a possible return trip in the future. I do it all the time while in BK. I've seen tons of places. Happy Travels!
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM

I've never stayed at the Marriott on the river, but I have taken the free shuttle boat to have a look. I think you would be happy there, if you want a riverside location.

Your scheduling sounds just fine to me. I like that you are splitting up BKK before and after. Great idea! That sort of line-up is suggested on here quite a bit.

I think you would like visiting Phuket for your Andaman beach part. You should have some pretty nice weather by that time. Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb are really the best times to visit Phuket (but hotel rates go up at that time also).

Have fun planning!
Carol
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM

the sheraton is always renovating....the smell drove us from our room one day!!!