Hotel in Bangkok

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Bangkok

Both the Oriental and the Mariott look great--do you have any suggestions about one over the other?? Thank Jan
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:24 AM

These ate TOTALLY different experiences. The Oriental is the old world elegant hotel, in a prime location on the river. The Marriot (well, I'll let Bob give you all the details) is by all accounts a very pleasant low-rise resort sytle hotel farther up the river, but just a 15 minute boat ride from the Oriental. The two are also very different prices.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Do a SEARCH on this topic. There's tons of talk on it. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM

The Oriental is without question the best hotel I have ever stayed in and many many people agree. It is far and away, in my opinion, the best hotel in bangkok with the best service, incredible restaurants, gorgeous rooms and wonderful atmosphere and history. It is also in a perfect location.It is also the most expensive hotel in Bangkok.

The marriott is farther away and everyone who stays there loves it. It is an excellent value and has a swimming pool area that is better than the Oriental. It is considered 4 star -- not 5 and is a resort type hotel.
I
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM

as the ladies have said they are not to be compared...the only comparisons are that they are both on the river in bangkok and both have beds for rent..

the oriental is a wonderful history laden hotel leader...it is realtively formal in comparison to most bkk hotels...this is not a bad thing...its public rooms are beautiful....its restaurants are wonderful...its river location is fantastic...it is probably the most expensive hotel in bangkok......i do not know the rooms but gloria says they are wonderful...

the marriott is a low rise "resort" style hotel in the middle of a city...albeit on the outskirts of the city center...also on the river...it has the best garden area and pool in bangkok...i always talk about this because i find a pool a necessity in bkk to keep cool...the buildings are a max. of 5 stories... the rooms are simple but elegant with thai touches and decorations....each room has new teak flooring in a shinny mellow style...the beds are fantastic...the a/c is abundant...there are 6 or 8 restaurants....honestly none are fantastic, but all are decent, but a bit expensive like most hotels...you can have a simple burger or a wonderful chinese meal and everything in between...
there is a mini mall attached to the hotel with lots of services: bank, fast food (burger ing and mcdonalds, etc), ice cream, glasses, drug store (boots) camera shop, tailors, dry cleaning/laundry, restaurants of many types, jewelers, seamstresses, etc...

plus the price is about 1/3 of the oriental...

they have a free boat service every 15 minutes to the skytrain station (i found the oriental's boat service to be unreliable this year)...taxis are always available and there are two near by bridges connecting you to the city center...the staff is very very friendly...they really want to please you (gloria reports the same for the oriental...)--it is the thai way after all....

i would not feel comfortable walking through the oriental lobby at 8PM in my shorts but i would at the marriott...that is the difference in a nut shell---superficial i know but a fact....they are different style hotels!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:43 PM

roberto; you denied me a view of you in shorts??? not fair. you saw me in shorts. how many coming to your soiree?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:42 AM

Re: the rooms at the Oriental. They are all lovely but their standard rooms (they call them superio are not as large as the rooms at the Peninsula which are probably the largest in Bangkok.Their deluxe rooms are wonderful as are the rooms in their garden wing -- many of which are duplexes. All the rooms at the Oriental were completely renovated two years ago.

I also would not wear shorts in the lobby after 8PM but the way I look in shorts I wouldn't wear them anywhere. ;-) The lobby at night, however, is very lively and many of the people there are locals (thais and expats) who are celebrating something, meeting for a drink etc. It's not just a lobby where hotel guests hang out. Thus it makes for great people watching. I don't think it's formal but it is highly celebratory and dressy and there will be many many people sitting there who are very dressed up. Even non-guest tourists are dressed up when they come to the Oriental because often they are coming for their "big/fancy" meal.Most hotels cater just to their own guests. The Oriental caters to the many other people and that does give it a different atmosphere. You see a huge number of thais in the lobby at night. They attend a party and then come to the lobby for a drink or just to continue talking and they are all dressed up. I doubt if that is true at the Marriott on a regular basis. AQnd since the Oriental is by far the most expensive hotel in bangkok, the locals hanging out there are among the very affluent. I've seen everyone from President Bush (Sr) to Elizabeth Taylor to Peter Ustinov to Barbara Streisand to Norman Mailor to Antony Hopkins to Barbara Cook and many many more hanging out in the lobby.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM

I should also add that the Oriental does have a dress code for the lobby which says no shorts I believe at night. Now I have seen lots of hotel guests walking through the lobby in shorts and have seen some sitting there in shorts with no problem but I have heard they do enforce it at various times -- especially for non guests. I think that has become more true since 9/11 since the Oriental is enormously security conscious and I think they use the dress code to keep people out of the hotel who are just coming to look. For the same reason they don't allow luggage or backpacks in the lobby if they don't know you. aao . This dress code has become a way to also keep non guests out of the hotel who may look suspicious or have no 'nusife
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:58 AM

The Oriental Hotel is enchanting.
It seems they have wedding parties most weekends. We had dinner at Lord Jim's about two years ago and that night there were two weddings at the Oriental. The lobby was filled with guests coming to the weddings. The Thai beautiful women in their long pastel silk dresses. They do not wear black at weddings. The men in suits. It was great people watching. And the dinner was great at Lord Jim's.

The Oriental Hotel has old world charm.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:37 AM

There are actually weddings or parties almost every night-- not just weekends. I'd say about 80% of the time which is what makes me love the lobby of the Oriental and what makes some people call it "formal". I'm like you in that I find it great people watching and fabulous fashion watching (got many ideas of how to use thai silk from sitting in the lobby). It's very lively and I like that. But it's clearly not for everyone and fortunately there are many other wonderful hotels with very different atmospheres. Everyone can find their perfect hotel in bangkok. Just know what you like. This forum is great for giving people a sense of a hotel.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM

you will rarely see anyone waiting for anything in the marriott lobby...it is totally different from the oriental in that respect...sort of old world if you will.....see and be seen....it is trully lovely...the marriott lobby is nothing special even thought they have recently refurbished it....i did see more people sitting in one of the side areas...

as i said above they are totally different hotels....some would not feel comfortable at the oriental...they would like it but it might seem too stiff for them...that is not the case at the marriott, unless you wanted a more formal feel...

i would be comfortable and happy with either but i would like the option on a hot night to sit in the lobby in shorts if i wished....not my style but i would like the option...can you see the fine differences???
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM

This is an easy one. If money is not a consideration, choose the Oriental. If it is a serious factor, choose the Marriott. If it is a concern, but not an overriding issue, choose the Oriental. Move on to important issues like where to eat among the wonderful restaurants.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help--I have now deleted the Mariott---now--more questions---what about the Peninsula as opposed to the Oriental--both sound fantastic--any preference between these two? thanks again--we have never been before to Bangkok so I think this would be the city to splurge--thanks again
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Ok if the price of the Oriental is out of reach and you want a bit more upscale than the Marriott (it is a 4 star according to Bob- who practically lives there)then maybe go for the Penn.
If its the Oriental - remember - no bringing an open can of coke thru the lobby!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Do a SEARCH on this topic. This gets discussed at least once a week on this board.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Hey, ladies - give the newbies a break - the search engine is lousy. If you doubt me, do a search on "Siem Reap" as I did this morning and see what comes up. Then manually scroll down through the posts and see how many with the words "Siem Reap" the search engine missed.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I agree the search engine does not work very well- it may only search on the words in the title- that might explain it a bit?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I have always said that the best value is the Penn. Comparing true 5 star properties I believe you get more bang for the buck at the Penn. You can wear shorts and drink coke- no one will bother you. The staff is respectfull- some describe that as cold but its really not! The rooms are spacious and all new- the breakfast buffet is fab! All in all it comes at a much lower price than the Oriental. So now you can decide what floats your boat!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM

And the battle goes on,Bill! I'm going to to the Oriental for a night next month, so then I can really be in the argument. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Guenmai-Bring an artifact from the Oriental to the GTG in Boston. It does not have to be purloined, but that would add to the mystique.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information