ATTN: GLORIA

Jun 19th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

ATTN: GLORIA

greetings from bkk...

on your suggestions we have have tried cotton house in oriental place....they were very friendly and my wife had one blouse made as a trial...we would definately return...the prices were identical and the workmanship about the same at each..

i mentioned your name as we were leaving and it brought broad smiles to the ladies...

thanks for the tip....we will now have to split our future business between them and our old favorite js thai silk in river city..

have you tried tongue thai just in back of OP? we found the food to be very delicious
Jun 20th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Hi Bob-Glad you had a good experience with Cotton House.l'm interested in your comment that it is the identical to JS Silk. I went to JS Silk for years and then about 8 years ago I tried Cotton House and liked their work. But at the time they were about 25-33% cheaper than JS. I guess they've gone up in price as they've gained clients. If they are now the same I may have to split my business in the future also.
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

its interesting that ms yai (js thai silk) told us that she has two good friends who run shops in other places: cotton house and a shop at the marriott riverside...we sort of felt we were sneaking around by going to cotton house...i just asked karen if she had additional comments...reply: same, same--the new favorite bkk saying
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM

Gloria and Bob,
I'm sorry to say that I didn't have such a positive experience with JS Silk. I ordered 2 silk jackets in May, and they had more than 4 days to complete the jackets.

First, no fitting was required, even though I asked about it. Yai said that if it didn't fit, I could just come back with it. She agreed to deliver the jacket to our hotel 2 days later, but that didn't happen. We only received it the night before we were departing Bangkok, which left us no time to fix the jackets.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. The jackets were made shockingly out of shape and these jackets have (unfortunately) ended up in the trash after we came home. I had even gone to Singapore to another tailor, paid more money to try to fix the jackets, and it was simply unsalvageable-the fit was still wrong. Having said this, it is obvious that I won't be going back to JS Silk based on my unlucky experience.

On the other hand, I ordered THB23.000 worth of clothes from Cotton House and I'm a happy customer. I will DEFINITELY be going back to them for more. Reed and Noi were very friendly and professional. We had 2 fittings at least in the 4 days, and since they were not able to complete the clothes before we had to leave BKK, they sent the clothes directly home by UPS (which meant more luggage space for us - hurray!). These clothes included: 2 pant-suits ie 1wool and 1polyester, 1 skirt-suit(thai silk), 2 skirts(thai silk). A few weeks after we were back home, the clothes arrived in good shape. I am happy to confirm that the workmanship is wonderful. I am very pleased, and if anything, I'm looking forward to go back to BKK just to tailor clothes. That's just how satisfied I am : )

Btw, Gloria....I mentioned your name to Reed(the owner) and I did tell her that you were advertising Cotton House on the forum, so don't be surprised if you get a nice discount next time : )

Bob,
I've tried Tongue Thai, as Harmonique was closed because of the Song Kran festival. It was generally good, except for the papaya salad which was too spicy for us. We were literally gasping for air. But the rest of the food was good.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:29 AM

Felt I must have a say in this tailoring discussion. Have been a very good customer of JS Silk for many years now. HOWEVER. Last November was in BK for 10 days and ordered many things. 2 silk quilted vests, 1 long silk duster coat plus 6 silk shirts and had them make 4 cotton shirts with material from Jim Thomson.
I found the whole experience to be very disapointing, particularly as I was an old customer. The vests and duster coat , which were all reversabile (top quality silk both sides), I have not worn once and am about to give to St Vincent de Paul Society) The fit was awful. Miss Yai tried many times to fix but, always with her calm smile, was not able to rectify the original cutting mistakes.
The shop is so small and when there are 2 or 3 customers in it , almost impossible to see oneself let alone communicate with Miss Yai successfully.
I wish I had tried Cotton House and will certainly on my next visit.
Have sent so many friends to JS Silk so feel very sad that their standard has dropped yet their prices have risen considerably. With 10 days in Bangkok I can't even use the rushed excuse !
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:57 AM

I'm interested in your comments about JS Silk because it was actually a similar experience that took me to Cotton House. I had been having my clothes made there for many years and had taken many people there. Then one trip many items had major problems -- a couple of silk suits ended up in the garbage when I got home in fact. I always give tailors a couple of weeks so time was not the issue. Two days before I was to leave on that trip (and while JS Silk was still trying to fix the items) I walked into Cotton House and on a whim ordered two pants suits. They were perfect and very reasonable. I've been going back ever since and have never had a problem. But I was beginning to feel a bit guilty about JS Silk and was thinking I should give her a little business. Now I think I'll just stick to Cotton House. I should say that I think one of the things that makes Cotton House so special is that Reed seems to be able to keep her staff. They have all been with her for years.

Another nice story about Reed. On the last trip we were talking about old Thai houses and she said that she and her husband were driving to see some about two hours out of the city during their Christmas break and would we like to go with them. We were going to be in Chiang Mai at the time so we didn't go but her generosity in inviting us meant a lot to me.

I think we have all found special shops in Thailand with special people and love sharing them with others.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

i find the comments interesting...we have used js thai silk for 10 years without problems, or at least problems that could, or alterations that could, easily be done while we were still in bkk....we see not change really in their prices either...
the same woman (tailor) has fit my wife for at least 5 years...my wife claims that she is hard to fit also which is interesting...she does know quite a bit about sewing herself so that helps too as she is very specific about what she wants done...we rarely use their design, prefering to create something unique....we do incorporate some of their suggestions....

maybe we are just lucky....
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

I used JS Silk for about 10 years and had a lot made before I had a problem. And I thought their prices were fair. To be honest, I would have gone back to them since I figure everyone can make a mistake if I hadn't found Cotton House. I really went in there to see if they had cotton fabrics that I liked (which they didn't) but I did see a washable silk that I thought could make a comfortable work suit. They had only been open a few days so the price was dirt cheap so I figured I'd give it a try. I loved the result and liked their suggestions, manner and quality better than I did JS. And the fact that it was a two minute walk from my hotel didn't hurt either. I also never use their designs but I know zero about sewing so am probably not very specific -- although I've learned a lot in my 20 years of having clothes made.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

agree with you about cotton house...they are very welcoming...the english is the best we have found in thailand in shops...it is a quality show all around...we shall split our business from now on...hope the two shops don't talk to each other as it might be embarrasing....