Search

A good tailor in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good tailor in Bangkok?

We will be in Bangkok in November for three days. My husband read about Rajawongse tailors. Has anyone used them? How did you like their work? How long do they take to make a suit? What is the price range(tropical woorsted)? I would like a couple of silk evening tops. Can I bring my own silk? Has anyone ever usecd Queen Thai? I was told it was next door to the tailors.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM

The famous Bkk tailor who has all sorts of testimonial letters incl from US senators and the like dotting his walls is Rajas Fashions on Sukhumvit Soi 4, Nana. 3 days is really tight to have a suit made as typically they give u 2 fittings - my husband tried to rush his and had only 1 fitting and now feels his linen jacket has not turned out so well. If u go to him day 1 morning he may agree to do your stuff but I am not sure. U can e-mail him in advance on [email protected]. For your stuff there is someone called NY Silk near the Oriental Hotel who will make stuff with your silk or her own - again 3 days is tight. Another good option for womens stuff (pricey tho, as are the others I have mentioned) is Narin Couture on Sukhumvit main road near I think the Sheraton.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 07:32 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks. This is the tailor my husband is wanting to use. Is three days enough for two fittings? I think they will ship, but not know about shipping cost.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:21 PM

I suggest u mail them - if they know in advance it is going to be a rush job they may strctech themselves to do it. Re shipping - they may but u may lose out on the benefit of the second fitting. The son of the owner who we interacted with is Bobby Gulati. Send an e-mail attention him and ask him whether he thinks it is doable - INCLUDING the 2 fittings. IMO if u do not take advantage of that facility u may as well not pay his fairly steep prices. My husband got 2 jackets incl material from him and 1 (linen one) only stitching. He charged 6000 baht each incl material and 3000 baht for only stitching (with lining)
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I read in earlier threads about Sarto. Is Rajas Fashions better? I am interested in 140-150 "super-fine" lightweight wool slacks. Will then send swatches to US in advance? A well made pair in this quality material is 300+ USD.
Does anyone have experience in ordering this quality slack? If so how much do they charge?
I too have 3 days but with slacks, probably 4-5 pair they should be able to do accomodate me. Would they come to the Peninsula for a second fitting?Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 05:47 PM

My sense would be Rajas is too busy to make house calls - and if they do is unlikely to be father or son who are really the best people to deal with. I do not know re swatches - suggest u mail them. Have not had any exp with other tailor u mention.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM

I think Sartorial at the Oriental is brilliant ! Never have ha a problem . Ask for Pong.
Tell him you need it fast
Beautiful work... a bit more expensive then most other tailors but worth every penny
My husband had Valentino jackets and Zegna Blazer copied and they came out perfect
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:30 PM

I forgot to mention in my last email that it is better to bring something you already love... that you want to copy.
Whenever I had something made up (not copied) I was very disappointed.
The Thais are brilliant at copies! Not very good at thier own designs(in my opinion)
I ama designer so I know a bit about creativity....
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:53 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Neeza, thanks for the reply. We will be staying at the Shanghi-La. I think it is close to the Oriental. Will be there for three days. Do you think Pong is that fast? Should my husband bring something he likes for both style and fit? What is the price range for suits, slacks? He is interested in having some clothes made ,but we do'nt want to send all our time with this. Do you recommend anyone for ladies evening tops?