Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How does getting custom tailored clothes in BKK work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are interested in getting some dress pants, dress shirts and a sport coat (for my husband) made in Bkk. I have read suggestions as where to go, but i am curious as to how it works. How many fittings are needed, how many days apart usually? Do you pick out fabric at tailors or pick it out at other places like JT and bring it in? What about cottons and wool blends?
Thanks again for your help.

Cori and John
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM

go to a shop....discuss what you are interested in and be very specific about details of the tailoring, i.e. pencil pocket in shirt...monograms, overstitching, longer tails, longer sleeves, wider collar, 3 button vs two button, etc, etc...

they will take a million measurements

they will then arrange an ititial fitting for you in a short period---maybe later that day or the next...

maybe another fitting a day later

maybe another

and perhaps a final one...

i go to the tailor when i first arrive and allow as much time as possible for all the fittings, even going out of bkk in between if the trip works that way....

the more fittings you have the better things will be in the finished product...

my tailor will come to your room for some fittings and will also deliver the finished goods to your room...

fittings take only 10 minutes....the initial visit perhaps an hour or more depending on what you are buying...selecting fabrics etc can take time...measuring also takes time....do not rush yourselves or the shop owner initially...

allow time for last minute alterations and tweeking....and also final delivery...

you pay an initial deposit of 1/3 to 1/2....the rest on delivery....at least that is how the guys i use work it....many of the shops are indian owned, for your info, but not all....

i like jack at monet il sarto at the marriott mini mall on the river....he is moderate priced and easy to deal with---excellent english...he is indian...he has thai tailors....the work is not usually done in the shop...they work 24 hours per day----sweat shops really---but it is employment for them which they would not otherwise have....
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM

The best shops all have wonderful selections of fabrics. You will find lovely tropical weight wools or wool and cashmere or wool and silk blends for suits. If you want heavier fabrics, many tailors can get other fabrics for you if you ask for something very specific. They will also have good selections of cotton shirting fabrics. If you have something you want to have copied, bring it along. If you know what you want, bring photos. As Bob says, you need to be very specific about what you want. The general rule is that you'll need at least three fittings.

Any place that says they will make you clothing in 24 hours, avoid like the plague! The whole point of custom tailoring is getting perfect fit. No matter how many measurements they take, each body is different. Also each person has a different idea of the ideal fit. If at the first fitting, the garmets don't fit the way you want them to (they usually don't) be specific about what you want.

While you can bring your own fabric, I never do. I'm always looking for silks, and they have the best selection of silks in Bangkok!
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I usually have 3-4 fittings. I have sometimes bought JT fabric but often just use the fabric they have. I always start the process during my first stay in Bangkok and finish it on my last stay.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Well the best suit I ever got I bought in Bangkok.

I went in early morning, got one fitting. I was flying out of Bangkok that night at around 11PM. They told me they would deliver everything to me at the airport.

around 9PM at the airport the delivered a jacket, two vests, two pants, two shirts and custom made and perfect fit. Yes I was taking a HUGE chance. I didn't get to try them on till I got back home to the States. But they were all perfect.

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM

wow - you erw VERY lucky. Even the very best tailor can't guarantee fit without a couple of fittings...
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM

A friend suggested Raja Fashions while I was visiting. I was very pleased.
They had me flip through fashion magazines for the basis of what I would like and then they suggested fabric that would be compatible with my selection.