Source for Mens Suits in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very slim, Thai sized, son that I am trying to find a suit and a blazer for. (Can't find his size in the US - size 36) Can anyone suggest a BKK store that has nice US type suites and blazers? My back up plan is to go to one of the tailors suggested on this forum.
Thanks
Lisa
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Go to a tailor. He will be able to produce exactly what you want a very reasonable price.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I second Gpanda on this. You can certainly wander around the malls in Bangkok if you'd like. But for the price of a good off the rack suit or blazer in the US, you can get garments tailored for your son in Bangkok. Make sure he brings photos of what he wants. He'll have to make decisions about details he's never thought of before.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM

If your son isn't traveling with you, going to a tailor won't do much good unless you've got very detailed records of his measurements, and even then a good tailor won't take the order without the person there for fittings.

I assume 36 is his chest size and not his waist - since 36 waist is the upper end of what you'll find in department stores here. You'll find pants and blazers (not necessarily suits) sold in most departments stores. Dark blue blazers are a part of many school uniforms in Thailand, so all mid-range department stores (like Robinsons) will carry them.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM

if your son is not with you i would not risk either a ready made or an off the rack suit....

36 should not be that difficult to fin...how about on line...sears certanly would have something or jc penny...brooks brothers also would have something...jos banks too....
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:03 AM

IIRC, Central Chitlom department store has an extensive men's department with some upscale merchandise.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Walk past the Indra Regent Hotel (Ratchaprarop) northwards (away from the Central World plaza) and there are a number of good tailors on the left side of the road who will make you any clothes you need quickly and cheaply.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I'm sure you'll find something off-the-rack. If you ever get to NYC, Men's Wearhouse and Macy's have 36s (my friend got a very nice Calvin Klein off-the-rack suit at Macy's in a 36 short) and a Calvin Klein tux at Men's Wearhouse. While not exactly common, you can certainly find smaller sizes here.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I live in Washington DC, and have yet to find a decent suit for him. Taking in the waist of the bigger sized suits just doesn't look right - the pockets start meeting in the center. My son will be with me and we will try out the tailors.
Lisa
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM

If he's with you, then by all means go to a tailor. Keep in mind that a good tailor will want you back for 1 or 2 fittings before the suit(s) is finished.

After trying some of the more tourist-oriented places over the years, I've gone back and stuck with World Garments, down by the Oriental. Great fabrics (including nice English wools) and great workmanship.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:48 AM

MichaelBKK, is World Garments in OP Place, or is it on one of the streets near the Oriental? Thanks,
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM

It's on the main street (Charoen Krung) a few doors down from 'Soi Oriental'. One of the things I like about them is that, once you've done business with them, they keep your data on file and can pull it out the next time you go in. They even give me their old prices, even though the current price is a lot higher.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Thanks, MichaelBKK!