Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

BKK -Cost To Make Clothes at Cotton House & Spa ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for BKK on Thursday. After reading all the praises of the Cotton House, are planning on going there Saturday as in that part of trip we will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental. I am curious as to pricing using their fabrics, approximately what would the cost be for a pair of standard ladies long or cropped pants in a cotton or linen fabric,? Also, I am bringing a pair of pants to be copied, about how long to you think it will take? Do you bargain re the price?
We are staying at the Penninsula when we return from Chiang Mai, which hotel is closer to Face Spa? And how much in advance do you need to make an appointment?
I am so excited about this trip and want to thank all of you for your wealth of information....I have 14 pages printed out that I have compiled from this message board!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM

the oriental is nearer to face, but quite honestly only by the width of the river....i would call them equal....

there is no bargaining at cotton house....

my wife used their fabric...she did not have slacks made....i can tell you that the price will be less than you pay for readi-made at home...

one suggestion.....have several fittings....know what details you might want on your slacks...top stiching, type of pockets, waist band, elastic, slits on sides, etc..../be very specific about everything...
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM

I've been a regular at Cotton House for some years. The last group of clothes that I had made there was Dec 2007/Jan 2008. I had 8, denim cargo skirts made that had quite a bit of detailing. I took in my designer cargo skirt and had them copy it 8 times.

I buy my own fabric, downtown in the garment district here in L.A. and take it with me. I don't like to chance having to find fabric there. Plus, excellent quality denim is no more than $4.00 a yard, usually much less as there are lots of sales. So, I take all of my fabric with me.

Along with having 8 skirts made, I had a stack of clothes, that I brought along, to have alterations done on and I had maybe 3 Asian style tops made with handmade buttons. I have many Asian tops, in the same style, as I always have Cotton House make that style for me. I can't remember, off the top of my head, how many alteration pieces I had, but it was a stack.

My total bill for everything was 13,600 baht at 33 baht per dollar exchange rate. So, $412.00. I had them deliver the whole stack of clothing to my apartment building when it was done. They deliver for free. It all arrived with each piece individually wrapped in plastic so I just easily dropped the whole load in the suitcase.

It is VERY important to go to several fittings to make sure that items come out right. By the way, the designer skirt, bought here in L.A., that I had copied was $125.plus tax. The Cotton House copy was a little over $30. only due to the dollar being low. The Thai baht price hadn't changed. I used to pay a lot less, for having clothes made, when the dollar was up at 40 baht per dollar instead of down to 33 baht. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies & all of the wonderful information from you and others that I have found on this Board since I began planning this trip. Today is the big day...I depart for Bangkok.... I am so excited that I have been up since 4 AM! I will let you know how it all turns out when I return.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Have a great trip! Happy Travels!