Asia Rooms surcharge?

Search

Asia Rooms surcharge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asia Rooms surcharge?

I am trying to make a reservation for a hotel in Phuket (Sawasdee Village) for November on Asiarooms.com. Sawasdee.com does not have the rates available yet, they haven't been released apparently.

The website originally said equivalent toe $78/night. Now, with my email confirmation (which took over a week to get) they are telling me an additional $49/night, over 50% additional!

Is this normal with Asiarooms?

Can anyone recommend another hotel in the Karon/Kata beach area for <$100/night. Or should I wait to see what the pricing is when sawasdee.com releases the rooms?

This is unexpected, as booking through sawasdee.com has been seemless thus far.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM

That is odd. The reason for the delay could be the hotel's fault or it could be the fault of the agency contracted by asiarooms. In any case, if the price is wrong you should contact Asiarooms via e-mail. They have a reputation of being a bit slow responding to e-mails especially when refunds are involved. In your case it is a customer service issue so hopefully you will have better luck.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Have you asked sawasdee.com for a rate quote?
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM

While I have never seen it happen, I'm wondering if asiarooms had an old price quote in their system, and when they confirmed, Sawasdee Village gave them a higher price.

Don't wait for a price to be posted, ask sawasdee.com for a price quote or go directly to the hotel.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I have asked sawadee.com and they have responded with the rate not being available yet--please check back. So I've just checked back (it's been a week since the last time I requested the rate) and will report back with what I find.

Otherwise, I'll forward the email with the price increase to asiarooms and see if there is anything they can do or suggest. If were off by a little, I wouldn't be concerned. But the 50% caught me offguard.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:14 AM

So many of these Kata places are well back from the beach.
The Club med stretches along a good part of the frontage of the beach and then the kata beach resort itself at the south end. Sawadee Village is up a street back from the beach.
My personal humble opinion is that the Central Kata resort is much better located being close to the road that runs behind Club med as opposed to being up one of the busy streets.
The Central used to be the Jiva. It is much less of a walk to the beach than many of the others. Certainly keep away from those 'secluded on the hillside with lovely views', who, what a kike some can be!
Central is as I say just behind the Club med and that's about the best you can get location-wise within that budget.
Central is a good local group that also operates many fine hotels, e.g some Sofitels, they have overall a good reputation.
November would be about USD 85 including tax, service and breakfast.

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...t/jiva/hotels/

I would very much dount sawadee Village would be under 100, rates shoot up from November 1st often double October prices.

On beach places like kata beach resort or karon beach resort just on double in price, for under USD 100 for a twin in November it is not so easy without downgrading somewhat, I think the Central is one of the best values you could get for the price.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

The staff at asiarooms is incompetent and not helpful.

I sent an inquiry to customer service asking about the price disparity and whether anything could be done to get it closer to what their website says.

2x I received a response that they didn't have the reservation number which was the first time only in the subject line. Second time, I put the reservation number in the body of the text also, but apparently they still couldn't find it.

The third inquiry, I placed the reservation number in the subject line, at the top of the text and lower in the body of the text. Their response was that they could get the higher rate and I should let them know if I want it. No explanation.

I guess I can only complain so much, they did respond promptly.

I'm looking for other options. Have not received a response to my latest rate request via sawasdee.com yet.

Tell you what though, I won't bother trying to book through asiarooms again. What a pain.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM

i just looked at asia rooms website and it clearly shows $49 until oct 31 and then double that afterwards....so why would you think you would get $49 in november??

sawasdee.com told me last month that the fall rates will not be posted until september....i think it will be earlier like the end of july, based on my past experiences....i like them the best of all...you have plenty of time unless it is a holiday period you want like loy krathang...

have you contacted the hotel directly??
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM

sorry, i ment $78...
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Bob, you misunderstand. I expected $78 in November. Not $137 a night which is what I was quoted in their email confirmation. It's an ADDITIONAL $49, not just 49.