Another resource for info on malaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NHS (UK) has recently upgraded their website. The website now includes the best malarial risk maps available on the web. You search for health info by country, and each country has a malarial risk map showing where anti-malarials are recommended. The text also provides good instructions on avoiding mosquito bites even in lower risk areas of countries that have malaria.

Take a look: www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM

thanks for that...i see pasadena is not a risk area...
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Kathie, That UK website was really helpful for my research into whether to take Malarone for my upcoming trip to Thailand/vietnam/laos/Cambodia. I remember taking Malarone for Laos and Cambodia when I was there 3 years ago but not in Vietnam, as advised by our travel doc. This time we are going into the Mekong Delta so I guess we will take the pill then too. We will be going in February--not the rainy season, uh?
We did not have any problems taking Malarone but it must be taken with food (at breakfast).

Now on some of the Fodor threads, there was comment about Cipro no longer being the drug of choice for
travelers diarrhea in SE Asia. If not that, then what have others been advised?

Thanks, Margo
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Margo, ask you doc what she/he recommends. Thailand in particular has had bacteria with Cipro resistance. Many docs choose Zithromax, others chose another antibiotic in the same class as Cipro, but does not have cross-resistance with Cipro.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 01:50 AM

Thanks Kathie - its a great website - helpful in preparing for our appointment with the travel doc next week.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Kathie--I just got a message from my internest about what drug to take for traveller's diarrhea and he said Zithromycin in SE Asia. Now I didn't get to talk to him directly so I don't know that if one of us should be struck by the dread malady, should we take only one or two days worth of pills (they are taken one/day I think) or should we take the whole 5 or 6 day course? Do you know? Or should I call him back? He is on vacation next week and we leave the following week.

Also, and maybe I should put this in another post, does the electricity in Thailand/Vietnam allow me to recharge my AA digital camera batteries using my US recharger?

Thanks, you are a fountain of SE Asia knowledge. Do you live there?

Margo
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Margo, do talk with your doctor. There are a number of approaches to dosing. Often, there are instructions that have you titrate the dose depending on the severity and persistance of the symptoms. Typically, a the doctor will want to prescribe enough of the antibiotic to treat each traveler for a bout of serious traveller's diarrhea. With Zithromycin, some travel clincs recommend two doses the first day. So do talk with your doctor. Zithromycin has recently become the most frequently prescribed antibiotic for travelers to Thailand.

Chargers for batteries and for electronic devices are themselves converters, so you only need an adaptor to be able to plug in your charger. In Thailand, many hotels ahve outlets that allow you to plug your US chrger directly into the outlet.

No, I don't live in SE Asia ... yet.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Hi, kathie!

Wow! What a great site! Thanks for posting it!

I've been taking Doxycycline since before Christmas (went to Mexico) and am still on it. Probably will have to get more for my upcoming trip to Thailand.

Want to go and see Ponheary, but will have to play it by ear as not certain which days would be available.

Thanks for the great website! Certainly is a help in planning!