Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vaccinations for Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'm a Canadian who will be traveling through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in March and April. I will be sticking to main cities and towns and not going off the beaten path.

I am wondering what vaccinations are realistic to get. I have consulted a doctor and the list is extensive and being self employed no additional health care benefits making them outrageously expensive.

They suggested

hepatitis A and B. Cholera. Influenza. Japanese Enchephalitis. Malaria. Rabies. ETEC.

I understand that all are ideal but can't afford them all. What are absolutely necessary? Help!!!

Thanks!!
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:33 AM

We went to Vietnam (Hanoi, Hue, HoiAn, Saigon), Siem Reap and Hong Kong less than two years ago, and the only recommended vaccines were Hepatitis A and Thyphoid. We chose to get Hep B (protected for life if you get all three shots) and Malaria as well. I get a flu shot every year but it had nothing to do with our trip. That's it.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Do you have community free health clinics in your area that you can get free immunizations?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We visited those locations last year and my MD ( affiliated with large teaching hospital) recommended that we take the Typhoid pills as they last longer than an inoculation. Easy, no side effects . We already had the HepA.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM

The doctor you consulted with likely has no experience or expertise in travel medicine. The list he gave you is certainly overkill for your trip.

You might find this site helpful: www.cdc.gov/travel

First, make sure all of your "routine" vaccines are up to date: DPT (diptheria, tetanus and pertussis), Measles/Mumps/Rubella, a flu shot is always a good ideas, as southern China is the cradle of new flu strains.

Hep A you should have even if you are staying at home, and typhoid is recommended. The oral vaccine lasts 5 years, the injection only two.

JE is not really a risk unless you are planning on working in the rice fields for 6 weeks or longer,Cholera is actually very difficult to catch and is only a risk if you are working in refugee camps where there is an outbreak.

There is, of course, no vaccine for malaria. Whether to take anti-malarial meds depends on exactly where you are going, and how delicious you are to mosquitoes. If you are staying in the coastal areas of VN, there is little malarial risk there. There is malarial risk in Cambodia out by the temples and in the ocuntrysiude, but not in the town of Siem Reap. Only very limited border areas of Thailand are malarial risk. So consider how much time you will be in risk areas and consider how effective mosquito repellants are for you. Ideally, do this with a good travel med or tropical med professional.

Rabies is not a special risk in the areas you are traveling. Be aware, though that if you get bitten by an animal, you will need to get medical attention withing 24 hours.

In Canada, an oral vaccine originally developed against cholera, Dukoral, has proved effective against e coli from contaminated food. Some Canadians opt to get that (it is not available in the US).

Have a good trip!
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM

We just returned from seeing the Travel Medicine Doctor. We are also going to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thialand and not trecking or going into the back woods. The only thing we are doing is the oral Typhoid. We had Hep A and B before we went to Africa. I need a tetnus and check to find out if I should do the Tetnus, Diptheria and Whooping cough. If you had measles, mumps and rubella as a child I am told you have lifetime immunity. The office visit was $80.00 and each shot was $100.00. Just add this to the cost of the trip.

They also warned us about not playing with the monkeys at Angor Wat. Evidentally they are very aggressive and if you are scratched or bitten it is on to the rabies shots which are not as painful as in the past they said. Either way don't play with them.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!!

Decided to get Hep A, as I have Hep B already. Oral Typhoid as well and then take with me antibiotics instead of taking the Dukoral before I leave.

For other Canadians, they are now apparently suggesting that the measles, mumps and rubella vaccination we had as kids is not lifetime, so they gave me a booster which was covered by OHIP.