Vietnam or Thailand?

May 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam or Thailand?

If you had to choose between these countries to visit, which would you choose? We loved thailand, we are going back to Asia, will we be as happy with Vietnam? Can you email me [email protected]
May 14th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Vietnam is not as easy to travel in as Thailand is. Think about what you are looking for. I'd recommend Siem Reap, Cambodia to visit Angkor or Luang Prabang, Laos before I'd recommend VN.
May 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Amy

I haven't been to Thailand, but I loved Vietnam. It's not at all--um--slick, I guess is the word, but it's got beautiful countryside and fascinating cities and lovely people.

Of course, I had fun riding in a bus with no air conditioning (hangin' out the window, gettin' a sunburn!) on the road from Hue to HoiAn and riding a dragon boat as the only westerner and sleeping overnight on a boat on HaLong Bay and riding the top of the canal boat down the Mekong... I do have a trip report that I can send if you'd like.

I went on to Siem Reap in Cambodia for the temples, as well; easily doable from HCMC.
May 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM

I have not been to Thailand but I have been to Vietnam and loved it. The people were friendly, the countryside was beautiful, we stayed at very comfortable & clean hotels and the food was great. I agree with the comments already posted, there is not the tourist infrastructure that you might find elsewhere but that is part of the charm.
May 14th, 2004, 03:30 PM

This is a no-brainer if you've already been the Thailand. I would vote for Vietnam. We've been to Thailand 3 times and finally went to Vietnam for the first time last year. We wish we'd gone sooner.

May 15th, 2004, 10:38 AM

If you've already been to Thailand, I'd vote for Vietnam as well. Our first trip to Asia was Thailand, next China, and third was Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Vietnam and Thailand are my favorites. I can't wait to go back to Vietnam, I just had a baby so we probably won't get there for a while. You can see our trip reports and photos at
http://kerstentraveler.com/vietcamthai2003.htm

We had the best food in Vietnam too!
May 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Depends really on what kind of holiday u want...if upscale resorts, beaches, spas, luxury, large cities is your thing then stay with Thailand. If u feel like exploring something new then Vietnam.
May 20th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Vietnam! Go now, because tourism is really starting to boom there and it's going to be the next Thailand. Plenty of good services and infrastructure now as well as luxury hotels and resorts if you need them.