Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

3 weeks around South East Asia... any advice very much appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself, my boyfriend and two friends are planning a 3 week trip to South East Asia June 2015. We are planning of flying in to Hong Kong for a long weekend, then travelling down to Vietnam/ Cambodia and possibly Indonesia. We are very flexible as we are in the early stages of planning. It may be a little ambitious doing all of the above which is why some advice would be very much appreciated! We would be keen to see some scenic islands, view some historic sites, and learn about the culture of each countries, and finally activities such as cooking classes, boat trips and trekking.

I would be very grateful for any advice on the above?

Has anyone got any recommended routes/ tips/ trips?

Thank you very much

Lauren
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Hong Kong will be - by far - the most expensive stop on your trip. Take a look at hotel prices and see if you want to spend a week's budget elsewhere in Hong Kong.

Each time you change locations you will use up most to all of a day, so the fewer stops you make, the more time you will have to enjoy your vacation.

It isn't clear to me what the most important places are for you to see. Right now, you have thong Kong plus three countries on your list. That is too much for three weeks, unless you plan just one stop in each country. Since you have mentioned Cambodia, I will assume you want to visit the temples of Angkor. To prepare for this part of your trip, get a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples. This will help you decide how much time to spend there. It takes three full days just to see the major temples (that means 4 nights in Siem Reap).

You could easily spend three weeks in VN or in Indonesia, so you need to have limited goals for each of these countries. Note that all three countries require a visa: You can easily buy your Cambodia visa on arrival at the airpot in Siem Reap, or you can get an e-visa online. For VN you must arrange a visa in advance, either by getting a visa from the VN consulate in your own country or applying for a pre-approved visa online (there will be a visa fee plus a stamping fee at the airport in VN). You can buy your Indonesian visa at the airport upon arrival.

I'd suggest you choose either mainland SE Asia (Cambodia, VN) or Indonesia, as that will give you a chance to learn about the culture. If you opt for an Indonesia-only trip, consider combining Bali and Java (Java has the largest Buddhist monument in the world: Borobudur).

This is a part of the world where slow travel pays off.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply, some great advice.

You are right, the more research I do, it is becoming apparent that less is more when travelling this part of the world.

I am thinking possibly do Hong Kong as part of another trip and just visit Vietnam, and Cambodia. The temples of Angkor would definitely be somewhere I would love to visit.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Just VN and Cambodia will give you plenty to digest. Three weeks is a good amount of time for these two destinations.

Do note that if your itinerary has you leaving VN for Cambodia, then returning to VN, you will need a multi-enrty visa. Once you leave VN your first visa is over and you need a new one to re-enter.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 02:24 PM
rje

Just to add to Kathie's good advice, you can also get an Indonesian visa from the Indonesian consulate in your own country. We do so in New York City, as it really speeds up our entry at the airport.

But as she said, you can also just get it at the airport upon arrival. The wait time will depend on how many planes have landed at that time.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:08 PM

re: Indonesia visa. It is much quicker to get at Jogja than Bali, based on the volume of traffic.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:04 AM

Flew with Garuda from London to Bali in September 2014. Had to change flights in Jakarta from International to Domestic.

Two hours between flights. We had to purchase our VOA ($35), and clear Immigration and Customs. Forms were handed out on the flight, and so we were ready for action as soon as we disembarked. NOTE - You can pay for your VOA in many currencies, but you'll get a very inferior rate of exchange.

It may have been the time of year, or time of day, but we cleared the formalities in less than 15 minutes.

Domestic Flight to Bali arrived at Bali Domestic Terminal, collected our luggage, and were on our way in no time.

4 weeks later when we flew home, we had to pay Domestic Departure Tax (75,000 rupiah) at Bali, and then International Departure Tax (150,000 rupiah) at Jakarta.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 03:41 AM

You can learn a heck of a lot about recent Cambodian history by spending a couple of days in Phnom Penh.

The Killing Fields, and S21 Genocide Museums are the places to visit. You'll also see plenty of visual evidence of the Pol Pot era as you wander round Phnom Penh.