Will US Air cancel a return trip?

Jun 20th, 1999, 10:05 AM
Kathleen

Will US Air cancel a return trip?

My sister is flying from Chicago to Greensboro,NC connecting in Charlotte, NC on US Air. Her destination is Charlotte but it was $300 less to travel onto Greensboro. US Air told her that if she does not take the connecting flight to Charlotte her return flight will be cancelled. Will US Air enforce this policy? Is there anyway around it?
Thanks!

Jun 24th, 1999, 05:12 AM
AJK

You betcha they will. That practice is called "hidden city" ticketing, which all airlines claim is illegal(?). If the arrival portion of any airline ticket is not fully used, the return ticket is automatically cancelled.the passenger may not realize this until their day of departure, when they have no reserved seat and must purchase a one-way ticket at full fare. Worth the try? The suspension would wreck my vacation! But they can - and will - cancel the return flight! On the other hand, this practice usually works on the return portion - with carry-on baggage.

Aug 26th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Ann

It is illegal. Plus, this could happen: The flight could be cancelled and they route you a different way, via pittsburgh. You cannot demand a stopover in a certain city, their obligation is to get you to the final destination. People who try things like this always end up paying for it in the end.

Aug 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Happy

It will most definitely be cancelled. I accidently missed a flight and the USAir computer system automatically cancelled my entire flight coming and going.

Aug 27th, 2002, 06:16 PM
AA

Ann's statement "It is illegal" is not true. There are no federal and/or state laws that apply to this situation.
Besides that, all the replies are correct. The airlines will deny boarding on return flight if the computer catches up to you. It's against "airline rules".

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Ken

It's not illegal -- it's against airline rules and THEY WILL cancel the return onward flights -- if you'd have used a travel agent they would have advised you accordingly

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:13 PM
COresBoy

It's against the rules of the fare, which is filed with whichever authority (I forget who at this moment) keeps up with that stuff. Each price for each city pair has a set of rules, which when you purchase the ticket, you agree to accept. The ticket is a contract. When you break the contract, the rest is history.

Aug 29th, 2002, 05:39 PM
connie

I hope that Kathleen is able to read these responses and then go back in time to advise her sister regarding her trip that happened three years ago.