Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there anyway I can get airline to let me use return portion of ticket if I miss departure flight?

Search

Is there anyway I can get airline to let me use return portion of ticket if I miss departure flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our son (the master of not planning ahead), will be flying home from college and trying to make flight tomorrow - but schedule may make that impossible. I have already researched other options so he can get home for Thanksgiving - USAirways only has one later flight and it is full. But other airlines have seats - both one-way and RT.

If he misses flight and I start over and book him an entirely new ticket, I am assuming USAirways will cancel the return portion so I need to book RT.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:37 AM

Might as well as book the new one now and cancel the USAirways ticket. You should be able to get something back in form of a voucher after the change fee is levied.

If he misses his outbound USAirways, and want to still use the return, he needs to call as soon as he knows he won't make it - before the plane departs. And pleads with the agent that he honestly just can't make it on-time, etc... Maybe they'll keep his return.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:38 AM

Gail...If he misses his flight, his entire reservation will most likely be cancelled as a "No Show".There is always the chance this week USAirways will be busy nad not get around to doing it in a timely manner.In any event, he will have until midnight on the date of the original flight to rebook and make use of the ticket for future travel.If that isnt done, you have thrown a ticket out the window.Of course, the wisest thing to do for travel this week is to some how come to a decision, pull the trigger and stick to the game plan.Once you start rebooking, you are subject to whatever is the prevailing fare.And just because he has a return reservation, doesnt guarantee that you can rebook on that same flight.In any event, best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - that is info I expected. Return flight is not actually until January midweek (Boston-Savannah), so not as concerned about availability on return.

After I posted I checked and fortunately there are still seats on several flights - later in day Tuesday or early AM Wednesday - unfortunately the USAirways flight that leaves later in evening is full.

I am going to tell him to go to the airport and try to make the flight - there is always chance flight will be delayed or he will get there sooner than he thought - and if he misses it start over booking Delta flight that leaves 2 hours later. He won't know until last minute - has to do with class schedule.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:06 AM

US Air has semi-merged with America West so if he shows up for his flight, and is late, they could possibly put him on a later AW flight with just a "change fee". Probably his best bet to plead flat tire or something. Oops, did I just tell you to advise your son to fib? Oh well, when I count the times I have shown up for a flight ON TIME but the flight crew was late, and the airline told me it was just a "weather delay"(sunny outside), I don't feel so low!