cancelled flight

Oct 29th, 2002, 05:28 PM
joe

cancelled flight

Do I have any recourse if an airline cancels my flight without notifying me? I booked the flight 3 months prior (HNL-LAX), the problem was on the return because the a/l had gone from weekly flights to 5 days a week. They got me on another carrier, 2 hours later. I'm just upset because if I had known, everything would have been fine.
They did have my phone number which was also forwarded to my cell during the trip.

Oct 29th, 2002, 05:46 PM
AA

Joe,
You really don't have any recourse, especially since they did provide transportation within few hours of the original flight. Here's what's in the AA "conditions of Carriage" :

American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.

The only reason they may give you 'something', is because of good public relations, not because they have to.
Hope that helps.

Oct 30th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Jason

Joe
How come the A/L did not have yur fone number?If you booked it in advance,its always I think a good idea to "reconfirm",just check the schedule a week or so before the trip.Its been my experience that anything the airline is gonna do for you because of your cancelled flight, needs to be done right then and there at the airport--gate/ticket counter.You can write to them after the fact and they'll probly send you a voucher of some sort.But they dont have to do anything since they already got you to your destination.
Jason

Oct 30th, 2002, 11:23 AM
xxx

The FAA regs state that if the airline gets you to your destination within 2 hours of the originally scheduled arrival time you are not entitled to any compensation. If your revised arrival time exceeds this window you may be entitled to compensation ranging from a partial to full refund. It doesn't matter whether you are flown on the originally booked airline or an alternate.
While it might seem that the onus should be on the airline to notify you, don't rely on that to happen. It's generally a good idea to check the status of your flight a day or two in advance - even re-check on the day of departure if there is weather that may cause delays.

Nov 5th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Jim L.

While the airline has no obligation to provide you with anything because they got you to your destinaion within the two hour window, I have found that writing a polite detailed letter to customer service sometimes produces results suchas an upgrade certificate or a $100 off you next flight. It doesn't hurt to send a letter to them.

Nov 5th, 2002, 07:59 PM
joe

They got me on another carrier, 2 hours later.
Should I sue them?

Nov 6th, 2002, 04:54 AM
asdf

If you were to sue them, what would you sue for? Monetary damages? Pain and suffering?

Aside from the fact that the terms of the ticket you bought allows them to get you to your destination as they did (thus they fully complied with the contract), you need to be able to show some loss to be successful.

You could not suffer any monetary damage because it is common knowledge that all forms of transportation can be delayed. Similarly, there cannot be any suffering nor pain.

JimL has it right ... throw yourself at their feet and maybe they'll throw you a bone.

Nov 11th, 2002, 09:59 AM
lisa

Please don't sue. There are way too many frivilous and silly lawsuits clogging up our court system these days. Your flight was only two hours later. Things like this happen all the time. Flights are delayed and cancelled. It is part of traveling. Go with the flow. You're making a problem where there isn't any.

Nov 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
phil

What a country, inconvenienced by 2 hours and you want to sue? Your taking yourself too serious,Joe. While your at it,sue if you get the middle seat.

Nov 11th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Sam

If they cancel your flight and rebook you on another carrier, I assume you don't earn any FF miles? Or do they give you the FF miles you would have earned? I'm just thinking that I would be annoyed if I had booked the trip with airline X to get the FF miles, and then they put me on airline Y and I didn't get anything.

I know it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but it would irk me, especially if it were a long haul like Hawaii to the mainland and I'd been counting on those miles to earn me some reward or another.

Nov 11th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Jason

Frequent Flyer miles are posted according to the "ticket lift" of a flight.The airline wants to be sure you flew the flight.If your flight is cancelled,no miles.Yes is a PITA,but thats life.The airline figures it is much more important to get you to your destination safely.

Nov 11th, 2002, 05:00 PM
julie

what does getting you to your destination safely have to do with frequent flyer miles or the lack thereof? i didn't see anybody say they would rather have miles than get to their destination without crashing.