Code Share Flights: Checking In and Reconfirming

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying on code share flights soon -- Delta first, then switching over to Continental/Gulfstream. The tickets were issued by Continental. My queries:

Which airline do I call to confirm the flights? Both? Or the issuing airline?

Which airline do I check in with? I assume it's Delta, since that's the originating flight, but I'd hate to wait in the inevitable long line at the airport only to find out I'm in the wrong line (its an international destination, so on-line check-in is not an option).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Yes, it would be the airline you're actually flying on. Check for the actual flight number too -- it probably is a different number than the one issued by Continental. Check Delta's website to find out the flight number & status before you leave home.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Checking in and reconfirming are two different ball games.

You need to check in at the counter of the airline who is actually operating the flight. As Joan mentioned,. make sure you have the 'real' flight number too in case there are different lines for different flights.

As far as reconfirming or any changes to an itinerary, you call the airline that issued the ticket. In my experience, I found that the airline that issued the ticket sometimes does not give passenger information to the airline operating the flight until the day of the flight.
Once I tried to order a special meal, called the "operating airline" and was bounced back to the "ticket issuer" to make my arrangements. The funny part was, the special meal options had very different names/categories on the 2 airlines, and I couldn't order the one I really wanted even though I knew what it was called on the actual flight I'd be on
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Normally, tickets do not have to be confirmed these days.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM

true, you generally don't have to reconfirm, but I thought of Callaloos questions a more of "who do I contact for questions/information about the flight"
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM

I just got back flying a Delta/Alitalia code share. I bought the tickets from Delta (used my Continental FF number), and flew Alitalia round trip.

Bought tickets and booked seats months in advance (20 B&C for both segments) -- I even reconfirmed the seats 2-3 times with both airlines.

Guess what happened when I checked in at the airport? We were sitting in two different sections of the aircraft.

Seems like there are no guarantees on code shares.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM

I most definitely would check my seat assignment. I once made a reservation through Air France, but the flight was on Delta. Delta had no record of my Air France seat assignment. I ended up well in the back where things got a little jouncy.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Janie, I think you should still always reconfirm international flights (Callaloo is flying international).