Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

IS IT TRUE that we would void our return flight if we...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:59 PM
marsha

We got a great fare into LA but have to stop in Santa Ana and then take a shuttle onto LAX. We don't want to take that shuttle, would prefer to rent a car from John Wayne and drive to LA (we don't like little planes). The airline said that we would void our return flight (this time, a non-stop to home from LAX) if we did that. Is that really true?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Anthony

Yes, that is true. Airlines have the right to do that, because the ticket contract states you must fly the exact itnerary you paid for. And trust me, they will cancel. Several yrs ago, when I didn't know about this rule, I did a similar thing on a different route; and yes they canceled the flight. Luckly I had a nice counter agent, and the flight wasn't full, so we were able to get both of our orignal return flights without any penalties.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:55 AM
KenCT

Yup. Happened to me, too.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:41 AM
fran

Yes, this is true. And considering how stringent the new rules are, I wouldn't take a chance on getting a "nice" agent who would reinstate your return.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Airline Resv Agent

Hi Marsha, I work for a major airline as a reservation agent and yes, the airline will definately cancel your flight!!! Please, Please, Please, do not depend on a "nice agent" to put you on the flight because prior to September 11th, the agents may have had the authority to do so but now most airlines are in Big financial trouble and the airlines are trying to recoup money wherever they can. Believe me they are looking at every situation and this would be a major violation on the agent's part. If the agent let you on the airplane for free or the $100 admin fee, the airline would loose revenue since you should purchase a one way ticket for a lot more $$$. You must adhere to the rules of the fare along with the original routing of the ticket.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Faina

In 1999 we flew to Canada by Canada Air: SF to Toronto, Toronto to Montreal and supposed to fly back the same way. When I called to get the tickets I said we'll miss the returning Montreal-Toronto part as we want to take the train. The agent made a note of it, nobody ever asked me to show any evidence of actually being on the train. Only upon entering Canada while being questioned we were asked once why we're missing part of the flight. Again, just my word, no train tickets to see.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:35 PM
jill

You should have booked into Santa Ana, with a return from L.A. It might have been the same price, although it does vary.

When you get to the shuttle gate, tell them you had no idea that it was such a small plane and that you are scared to death of flying on toy planes. They will suggest that you take the bus.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Travelinman

They may suggest a bus, but do they have the authority to make changes to the tickets? I wouldn't take this chance, but that's me!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:16 AM
KK

Also remember that luggage is checked to the final destination so if have more than carryons you're screwed. Also, if you don't get on one of the planes, new security rules say the bags have to come off and you've created a nightmare for other passengers.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Maddy

To Jill, if you would read all the posts, one was written by a gate agent who said not to do this.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:08 AM
Nancy

"I had no idea it was a small plane" won't work anymore either. I saw a woman try this in Houston before boarding Continental Express. The agent pulled her itinerary which clearly had the airplane type listed. It was up to the passenger to review this info and, if necessary, look it up on the web. The agent didn't budge and I'm not sure what she could have done anyway if that's the only plane type that flew to the particular arrival city. Not sure what was resolved but the poor woman was a wreck about flying a 30-seat plane!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:22 AM
TvlPro

It's called a hidden city and you can't do it. Period.
The only time you can get away with it is when it's the LAST flight.
For example I started a trip in Houston and flew to DFW then on to Phoenix.
I wanted to return to DFW, not Houston but the tick was very expensive so I just booked it back to Houston, saved 1000.00 and got off at DFW.
You CAN NOT check bags when you do this.
With all the new rules today, I would not be surprised to see the airlines charge the difference to your credit card if fail to complete the trip.
It could just be incorporated into the "terms" of purchase.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
sandy

As far as the statement that your luggage will be taken off the plane if you don't board, it may be what they say, but it's just not true. I've had my luggage arrive before I did three times in the last 6 months--once waiting to get on a standby flight that I didn't make but my luggage did, once a voluntary bump for a voucher, and once a missed connection, where my luggage was re-booked on an earlier flight that I was. And this was on three different airlines.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Tvlpro

You're right.
Your luggage is only name matched on the first leg.
That's why you can't check it unless you plan to go all the way to your destination city.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:15 PM
jill

Please. There are 200 people getting on some planes. When you board and they take your little boarding card , do you really think that they go back and match up all the cards to the computer to see who didn't show up?

Just show up to the gate late and miss your flight. They will tell you that you can wait for the next flight, or take the bus.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:36 AM
Disagree

Yeah Jill, taking a later flight or bus is always an option, but that doesn't mean that the passanger won't be charged for the full flight!
I WOULD NOT take this chance!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Disagree

Meant to say that "the passanger wouldn't forfeit return flight".

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:51 AM
AA

Jill, airlines DO match people to flights. It's the law now and the feds make sure it happens. Also, luggage match occurs on EVERY flight and not just connections. That doesn't mean the flight won't take off if your bag ISN'T on board but they will hold the flight if a bag IS on board and a passenger isn't. (It would be nice if it worked both ways, alas!)

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:14 PM
jj

ttt

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:38 AM
xxx

Jill is just a wealth of good info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -