When and where to book my Greece trip.

May 22nd, 2014, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

When and where to book my Greece trip.

I am planning a flight to Greece in September so I would like to get some tips on finding the lowest fares. I will be flying from the U.S.
CHEERS!
May 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM

You need to list your cities and airline preferences. Do you have status with any airline? Are your dates flexible? I use a search site Itasoftware, but you can't book with them. You can find the cheapest flights and then you must go the airline site and book. Other people sign up for fare alerts and sites such as Kayak.
May 23rd, 2014, 06:40 AM

Putting in some random dates in September into Kayak, it appears that flights right now are running around $900 from New York, and that is a very good fare. You will not find something under $800, so this may be a good time to buy if you are certain of your travel dates. Otherwise, start solidifying your plans and book no later than early July (5 to 7 weeks out is typically the best time to find deals). Of course, it depends on where you're flying from.

There are few nonstop flights to Greece from the U.S., so you'll likely have to connect somewhere in Europe. I believe that Delta still offers the only nonstop to Athens from JFK. Right now, it's usually cheaper to connect in Reykjavik, Oslo, or Zurich, but Lufthansa often has sales allowing you to connect in Frankfurt or (less regularly) Munich.

Good luck, and I'd also suggest posting in the Europe forums. There are a lot of people with Greece experience there.
May 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM

While I do what Doug says, since I got on Twitter, and had LAX as one of my followings, I discovered @airfarewatchdog that seems to have 24/7 updated info on deals and steals, including all airline accidental deal glitches. It had some very good deals going to Athens in September.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 05:17 AM

You haven't mention from which US airport you are planning to fly to Greece. If you are flexible with dates then try to fly mid week and book early morning flights or late night. Subscribe to newsletters of your preferred airlines, so that you get email alerts about airline SALE. Also try to check flight comparison websites like - Kayak, Momondo, Cheapflights.co.uk.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:32 AM

Surfergirl makes a great point. Instead of subscribing to newsletters that clutter up your Inbox, subscribe to airlines' Twitter feeds. You can always Unfollow them once your trip is arranged.
Jun 4th, 2014, 12:01 AM

try norwegian air. I got ticket from Oslo to Santorini with 50 bucks.