Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece- book a package or do a la carte?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Greece next May (on this planning pretty early)-- is it better to book a package trip or book airfare/hotels etc a la carte? Are there packages online that include airfare? Any good website recommendations?

Thank you!!
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Well this forum was one of my best resources, we just got back from a trip. I looked at some packages, and inquired at some of the travel agencies I had seen recommended.

I think the issue is how picky you are about what you get. I like to have the control and pick my own hotels and set my own itinerary. You might find a packaged deal for a good price, but I feel like I did very well price-wise doing it on my own. You've got PLENTY of time, look at forum postings, check out Matt Barrett's Greece site, buy some books... first you have to put together your itinerary, to me that's the hardest part. After that you look for airfare and when that's nailed down, you can start booking hotels.

Alice
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM

A package holiday can make sense for a first time visitor if you want everything worked out for you in advance. In fact on our first trip in 1996 we took a package with a cruise and a stay in Athens. It was a good introduction to Greece and with the airfare included it was a good value.

However we would never do a package to Greece again. Many people on this forum are independent travelers and prefer to do their own thing. This gives maximum flexibility to see and do what you want when you want.
This is easily done in Greece as virtually all the people in the tourism industry speak some English (except Athens Taxi drives who pretend they don't when they are overcharging fares, but that is another topic) All part of the adventure!
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I couldn't imagine paying the money for a package especially in May when there are lots of hotels to choose from and competition most places. I nearly always bartered somewhat in May, a better price or just a better room or better view. Some hotels are literally just opening up and half empty in May. Except for Athens in May I never reserved a hotel ahead of time unless it was May 1st holiday weekend. I would consider either a direct flight to Athens or fly into UK on a cheap flight and then get a cheap flight directly into Athens or an island. I think Click Air has some new cheap connections.
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies-- I should have been more specific that I've heard booking packages can be less expensive (and if MUCH less then an option). It sounds though that with the time I have to plan, and the time of year the trip is being planned for, that I can find some deals and also have a much more tailored trip.
Thanks again all- I really appreciate it.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I can't imagine taking package tour in this day and age.

In the past when it was hard to find info it might have made more sense... Stan mentions taking a tour in 1996... I bet in 1996 hardly a hotel in Athens had a website so it would have been hard to plan aside from what you could dig up in travel books.

Today even the most humble establishment has a website and can take your booking online. (When I first got online in 1994 there was no such thing as a search engine, a web browser was the coming thing and pictures were rare!)

Last summer I was standing in front of our hotel in Paris one evening when a tour bus full of Australians pulled up and the mob checked into the hotel. Next morning, out they came luggage and all and back aboard the bus! One night in Paris! Unreal.

So I side with the other posters... do it yourself and you'll have much more fun!

Rob
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rob and all- you have me convinced!