Update on husband who was on TSA security watch list

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again to all those who offered suggestions (Husband discovered he was somehow on TSA security watch list which prevented him from using self-check-in kiosks and sometimes got him extra scrutiny at check-in).

He sent required forms plus notarized passport copy, certified birth certificate. After 3 months he just got a letter back stating that TSA has notified airlines that he is not a security risk. However, letter states that to expedite check-in, he should bring this letter plus usual photo ID plus either passport or certified birth certificate to present to counter agent. Also has statement that they are sorry, but his check-in may take a little longer as they verify this information.

As far as we can tell, this gets him nothing - since he was never denied boarding, just could not use self-service and sometimes counter agent had to get a supervisor. Sounds like this is still what will happen - as it stands now, about 50% of the time the self-service kiosks lets him check in and the other half of the time it forces him to go to the counter.

(When I read him this letter he was sitting on a plane at O'Hare having just checked in at a kiosk).

So, thanks again. I had hoped the TSA had better things to do than this, but I guess not. (And for those of you wondering who did not follow this saga months ago - my husband is a middle-aged, white, American born business man who usually travels wearing a business suit, always flies round trip, pays with credit card, and it many-miled ff on several airlines - as far as I know after 25 years of marriage, he has no terrorist links)
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM

It looks like the wonderful TSA is doing a great job protecting us from ourselves!

Seriously, I feel for you and especially your husband. This is such a joke......

Write your congressperson NOW!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
africa_lover

Hi Gail,

I didn't follow the 'saga' a few months ago.
But what you are writing sounds very familiar.
"" my husband is a middle-aged, white, American born business man who usually travels wearing a business suit, always flies round trip, pays with credit card, and it many-miled ff on several airlines - as far as I know after 25 years of marriage, he has no terrorist links)""

I wouldn't say my husband is middle-aged (45y) and we are only married for 20 years, and we are Belgian, but he is also a white business man wearing suits ,no terrorist links, travelling around the world with highest frequent miles status on 2 airlines.

But in the States and only when he is travelling on American Airlines, he's somehow picked out and gets a special security check (body and handluggage).
It seems he's on a 'black list' as we call it with American Airlines.
No problem with United or Delta airlines.
Asking around it seems that this could be because he is not always travelling round trips on the same airline.

The only solution we can think of, is for him , to avoid American Airlines as much as he can (but not always possible).

But he still gets very upset and angry when it happens.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

To africa-lover -- this is fascinating, since it is also American Airlines on which he always has problems - far less frequently on other airlines.

AA tells him it is a TSA thing, but if it were then it would occur on all airlines with some parity. For him, it means he is avoiding AA when possible, and if he flies them he must allow extra time to check-in. Our kids think it is funny that their otherwise rather bland father is on a terrorist list - but they are the only ones laughing.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:37 AM
africa_lover

Same here with the kids, but whenever we fly and have to pass customs or security they behave like angels .
That's the only positive thing about it.

I will definitely show my husband your posts when he gets back home. At the moment he is on a 3 weeks business trip Brussels-China-Korea-Singapore- Australia-Chicago (or Grand Rapids) - Brussels.
He's flying mainly Lufthansa or one of the Star Alliance partners (United Airlines...)

Hilde

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:41 AM
africa_lover

BTW what does TSA stand for?

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM

You both are barking up the wrong tree. AA has no control over the above.

Only <b>T</b>ransportation <b>S</b>ecurity <b>A</b>gency can remove your husbands from the lists.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Sorry, I meant Administration, not Agency.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

We know AA has no control over this - that is why we went to TSA and got official letter.

It defies any logic I that problem should be primarily on AA - but it is.

As I would expect, TSA would not/could not give any info on how and why of original problem - I expect that, since there would be all sorts of security issues if they revealed their security info.

Husband even spoke with live person at TSA about original issue, and apparently followed their rules of &quot;disengagement&quot;. He does not fly again until after 1/1, and that should be on AA.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:16 AM
africa_lover

I don't know who has anything to say about getting you on or of that 'black list' I am talking about,
but it is strange that my husband only has problems with 1 company .
As we are speaking he is flying his 200 000th mile this year and the only problem with security in the States or elsewhere was with American Airlines.
United , Delta or even Continental never proved to be of any problem.

These are only facts, not saying that AA is a worse company than any other airline.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:19 AM

<b>Gail</b>,

This article may be of special interest to you:

<b>http://news.com.com/Tens+of+thousands+mistakenly+put+on+terrorist+watc h+lists/2100-7348_3-5984673.html</b>

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I think you are getting a lot of misinformation here. Yes, TSA maintains the lists, but you have gone to TSA and they have done what they do to rectify the situation. Going back to TSA will just be repeating what has already been done. You should also understand that there are different levels on the TSA list, with different ramifications for each level. The problem most likely is that someone else with the same name, or a very similar name, is properly on the list, and they are certainly not going to remove that name.

The problem is with the airline that apparently hasn't created a good system to deal with the information from TSA.

I was in a like situation, and TSA was very efficient in resolving the situation; I got my clearance letter in far less time than I expected. However, it took months for my favorite airline to figure out how to deal with the information, despite my repeated inquiries, it seemed that everyone at the airline thought it was someone else's job to fix the problem, and I was irritated because at that time checking in early got you to the top of the upgrade list, so my wife was getting upgraded and I wasn't.

I'm a bit surprised that an airline would still be having problems with this, as it is now a new problem. I know TSA has streamlined their procedures. When I first found the problem, you had to call TSA and they would send you an application. A few weeks after I did that, I noticed that their website had been changed, and you could now download the application.

I'm no fan of bureaucracy, but TSA seems to me to be doing a difficult job rather well.

If the airline cannot resolve this situation (I really wonder why he gets intermittent results), he'll just have to decide whether to switch airlines, or live with this problem.