United Airlines: are they here to stay?

Jul 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

United Airlines: are they here to stay?

We are now considering an ininerary in January 2007; FAR to SGN on United Airlines and I would like any input as to weather or not there could be any problems with the airline (such as strikes, etc.) six months from now.

Earlier, we considered Korean Airlines for a large part of the ininerary because of price and also, adding to our Northwest World Perks account. But now for several reasons are considering the UA option.

Any input is helpfull. Thanks
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM

They just emerged from bankruptcy, and all US airlines are having a great summer. I don't see how there would be a problem for UA in early 2007.
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:59 AM

After hearing on the news how the executives won big and the employees lost in the long run, I will avoid this airline.
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

wally: please tell me more.
Jul 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Wally is referring to the fact that UA, which sold its employees on the idea of "employee ownership" back in the 90s as a way to reduce benefits costs, recently A) jettisoned its defined benefit pension plan, and B) came out of bankruptcy with an arrangement that gave the top 400 executives at the company millions in stock options while the rank and file got nothing. While it is extremely unfortunate that the rank and file got totally shafted, in my view, that's all the more reason for you to fly UA. In my mind, giving your business to UA is a way to show support to the rank and file workers - if UA does well, hopefully that translates to improvements for those workers over time. Yes, an unfortunate side effect is that if UA does well Glenn Tilton and the top brass also make out on the deal. But in the long run, isn't it better if the rank and file can keep their jobs (and what benefits they do have left) than to have UA fail completely and they lose everything?
Jul 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM

No, it isn't better. My decision to buy an airline ticket is an economic one and not part of a jobs program.
Jul 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Agreed, and I'm not suggesting that one should fly UA without regard to price. I'm suggesting that one shouldn't boycott UA solely because the executives got a sweetheart deal in the bankruptcy reorg.
Jul 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM

if the stews are considered rank and file, then they did get something, stocks in uaua. i know a couple of stews that sold their stock as soon as they got it, and stewed about it when the stk hit mid 40s. now its a different matter.

are they here to stay, who knows? but look at the competition, dl and nw, in bankruptcy. i think aa is just getting by.