Search

Travel to Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to Turkey

I will be traveling to Turkey in March. I have looked at the typical means to book air travel but have seen some sites that offer decent discounts such as onetravel.com amongst others. Is this for real? Would I be putting myself in a very restrictive situation or one filled with fees? I will obviously check further but any tips would be appreciated.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

I will be traveling from USA...probably NYC.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM

This is the first time that I am posting anywhere about my experience with One Travel (OT). I will never deal with them again. I booked tickets through OT in May of this year. Everything on the website suggested that e-tickets would be issued. However, the acknowledgement of my order showed that I would be receiving PAPER tickets. (Note: You will not receive a confirmation of your reservation for up to 24 hours after placing the order as it may take that long to secure the tickets. The price may change, too.) I called the customer service number to request e-tickets and was told this was impossible. I then asked that the tickets be cancelled. This was within minutes of placing the order and was told I would have to pay a $100 per ticket cancelation fee. According to the rep, when you agree to the terms that the tickets are non-cancelable for any reason, you have to pay the cancelation fee. I decided to keep the tickets rather than pay an additional $200.

The next day I received a call from OT telling me I would be billed an additional $100 for paper tickets, that is what the airline charges OT. When I told the rep I did not want paper tickets in the first place, he gave me some long explanation about why I had to pay. After more dialog, he then said I could just pay $48. I asked him what kind of business was OT, that I would not pay one penny more for the tickets and that I would call the better business bureau in NY if my account were charged. The rep hung up on me. When I did not receive the paper tickets within the one-week specified by OT, I learned that they had cancelled my tickets. They never told me this. Although it cost me about $250 more total, I was able to get e-tickets to my destination through Orbitz.

If you choose to deal with OT be aware that all customer service is outsourced to India. I visualized the scene from Slumdog Millionaire each time I spoke with a representative, four in all. I had to call back twice as I could not understand some reps and I work with Indian graduate students! Also see Epinions. Although old, the first and fourth posts mirror my own: http://www0.epinions.com/webs-Web_Se...splay_~reviews
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Reasons to book directly with the airline:
1. Most offer a price match policy where if you find the same itinerary elsewhere for a lower price they will refund the difference, sometimes with an additional premium
2. Introducing a third party increases the risk of problems, especially if there is something irregular (delay, cancellation, etc)
3. You don't have to worry whether or not the company is legit
4. Often with such third party vendors there are restrictions and/or fees that appear only in the fine print or are not disclosed until after you have made a purchase (as described above)

You can search on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/ to find itineraries to suit then book directly with the airline, usually online but if need be you can call.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Don't both Turkish and Delta Airlines fly nonstop from JFK to Istanbul? You should be able to find something.