Reload this Page >

Etickets or paper tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:06 PM
gb

A few weeks ago, I got 4 frequent flyer tickets to Europe next summer. I asked for a paper ticket and was told it would be $20. I said I was willing to pay for them. Then, the agent convinced me not to buy them. She asked why I wanted them. I said what if United went bankrupt or there was a war, or other problem, I thought it would be easier with a paper ticket. She said no, it wasn't. Today, after a flight I stopped at a ticket counter, and again the agent was insistant that I didn't need a paper ticket. What gives? What should I do? (United)

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:10 PM
cece

I always believe in getting a paper ticket even if they charge a fee nowadays. It's the only proof you have in case of anything unforseen. If you're given a choice the agent can't deny selling it to you.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Wendy

My experience has been that other airlines will not honor e-tickets in the event of a plane cancellation or strike. I always ask for paper tickets and pay the extra just so that I can have them with me if there's a problem.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:21 PM
gb

But why did they both try to convince me not to buy them? That's $80 for tickets that I got for free-you'd think they would want anything from me.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Jayelle

E-tickets in general are cheaper for the airlines than paper tickets, so they have probably instructed their agents to always push e-tickets as the first choice. The sooner the airlines can get away from issuing paper tickets for any reason, the happier they will be.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Georgine

Aren't we missing the most basic point in her question----these are "frequent flyer" tickets. Freebies! <BR><BR>There actually would be no purpose to pay for paper tickets because another airline is not going to honor your frequent flyer seats if your flight is cancelled.<BR><BR>If you had purchased the tickets, then there would be more "safety" in having a paper ticket(which would more easily be accepted by another airline).<BR><BR>The same would apply on domestic or international flights.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Anne

I'm on the other side...I'm flying to Paris on free tickets (won at a fundraiser!!!) and then on to Vienna on ff tickets...I would love to have e-tickets, but they issued paper. Also just bought tickets to Cancun for next year's vacation (caught a good fare), and got a paper ticket. Now I have all these tickets to keep up with...I'm spoiled to e-tickets. Guess since I've never been burned, I think e-tickets are the way to go. <BR><BR>Anne

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Andy

bg- Even if they were FF tickets and were "free" , I would still PAY for Paper Tickets!<BR><BR>If there were a strike, bankruptcy (USAIR), or any problems, at least you will be HOLDING your actual tickets-<BR><BR>If you need to get to another airline, they will still TRY to help you ,but only if you have paper tkts that can be assigned over to the new airline....<BR><BR>I NEVER travel anywhere without PAPER TKTS----In fact, I am holding 3 USAIR tkts currently, and IF I need a REFUND, the credit card company need copies of the ACTUAL tickets- a piece of paper with flight times won't cut it...

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:59 PM
StCirq

I always ask for paper tickets - though I've not yet been requested to pay for them. I figure that if I get to the counter and someone says "Never heard of you," I have proof in my hands that I bought a ticket. <BR><BR>So many different scenarious have happened to me in my travels that I just feel far more secure with a paper ticket. I'd be miffed at having to pay for one, but I'd do it.<BR><BR>I'd also bet if I went in person to the airline office to collect the ticket, which I've done on numerous occasions, I could get the paper ticket without paying for it. After all, they're just printing stuff out for you - what's the difference between printing out a paper ticket and printing out an e-ticket?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
xxx

I see no difference in requesting paper tickets over e-tickets whether the tickets were free or not. If it doesn't matter that you can jeopardize your seats in case of an emergency by having e-tickets, then why would you care to win the tickets in the first place? How much do you want to go on this trip-free or paid?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Anne

Like I said, guess its just because I've never been burned with an e-ticket, but I did lose a paper ticket once (somehow slipped out in a taxi is best I could figure). $100 later to get a replacement ticket.... you all make very valid points about bankruptcy, etc. Just my point of view...didn't mean to start a ruckus! I can take being the minority view

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:13 PM
AA

Andy,<BR>A free 'FF' ticket will not be accepted by any other airline, even if you have a paper ticket. The 'other' airline could not collect any cash for a 'FF miles' ticket. If you have one of those and the airline happens to go under before you use it, you're out of luck, I don't care if you had a signed letter from the president.<BR>E-tickets are taking over. AA,UA,CO,NW all have reciprical(?) agreements pertaining to e-tickets now. So if your flight gets cancelled and your airline does not have any more flights to your destination they will 'electronically' send you to one of the others. Once that's done, you just walk over to the other counter and as long they have seats available, you're in.<BR>Paper tickets cost the airlines lots of money. It's not just the paper, but the data input thta's involved with paper tickets. Anytime one gets changed, returned, etc.. it involves a great deal of accounting done manually, wheras electronic ticket is done automatically.<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:35 PM
fran

Re etickets---if you have an eticket receipt with the ticket number printed on it, if the airline "loses" your reservation, the agent can find it by looking up the ticket number. I find paper tickets to be an incredible hassle now that I am used to etickets. If you have to change your plans and exchange your tickets, if you have etickets you can do it over the phone, pay the fare diff and change fee with your credit card and you're good to go. With paper you have to make a physical trip to the airport to do the exchange unless you are lucky enough to live in a city that has airline ticket offices, and my city doesn't.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
gb

AA-What about if United goes bankrupt, but I have a paper ticket and request a seat on a partner airline like Lufthansa?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:15 PM
AA

if it's a paid ticket, they will try their best to accomodate you.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Julie

Even if United declares bankruptcy, they'll continue to operate while they reorganize. Remember that Continental has gone through and emerged from bankruptcy.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Andy

AA- I have travelled on FF tkts to Europe-- <BR><BR>Even if I am using FF tkts, the agents try to help accomodate you---<BR>I flew to Bermuda on FF tkts and the planes were all messed up on USAIR- and they DID accommodate me on DELTA-with FF tkts-- It's the one who yells the loudest , gets heard...and you have to be persistent...<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:55 PM
AA

Yes, it worked for you because your airline was/is still in business(in another words, guaranteed payment). It would have worked the same now if you had an e-ticket. My point is that even if you had a paper ticket but it was a freebie 'ff', and your airline went under, the ff paper ticket is worthless, just as a e-ticket would be. Miles programs are at the mercy of each airline that provides them. They could change, cancel, discontinue the programs at any time, so there is no monetary value for other airlines to accomadate you with one of those, unless your airline guarantees payment.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:13 PM
xx

Bt it is all mot...airlines are phasing out paper tickets..American is first...so in a year or 2 ..you won't even have a choice ..so get with the program now..<BR>I've used them for a few years and never had a problem all the programs are tied in and even with unexpected emergencies they have been honored

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:34 AM
gb

I'm still undecided on whether or not to insist on a paper ticket (and spend $80). It seems like the general consensus is that a paper ticket might be better in some cases, but on a freebie, it doesn't matter. Does anyone who work for the airlines have any more info? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -