Can they do this???

Dec 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Can they do this???

Hi-- I have booked a flight on British Airways thru Expedia and need to change my flights...we start off in Honduras going on American thru Miami, where we get on British Airways to London. According to Expedia, I cannot cancel the flight without losing all my money...they say British Airways will not give me credit for another flight??? Can this possibly be true-- an airline can simply keep your money if you need to change????
Dec 19th, 2005, 06:12 AM

You've booked a non-refundable ticket. And most discount tickets sold by Expedia have a penalty fee for changing. You should be able to change your flights, but with a change fee, which ran run up to US$200-300.
Dec 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Yes, often the cheapest tickets have restrictions like non-refundable or no changes unless with a large penalty...
Have another look at the rules, maybe it says how much you must pay for a change.
Dec 24th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Yes, flexibility with airline tickets is very expensive !!
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Keep calling both Expedia and British. Different agents have different answers.
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I think most airlines will not deal directly with someone who bought the ticket through an agent; they insist that you go through the agent to make any changes.

There may be a communication problem here if you asked to cancel a ticket when your objective is the change the ticket. I think most airlines do allow you to change the ticket, although there is a hefty fee involved if you bought a non-refundable ticket. Actually, many airlies will allow you to cancel the ticket, but instead of giving you back your money, they give you a voucher good for use on that airline withing a certain period of time, such as before a year from your original flight date, after having taken out the hefty fee.

All the online booking sites I have seen provide this information, and make you acknowledge that you have read it before allowing you to make the purchase. Its not prudent to acknowledge that you have read something unless you actually have, but alas many of us do just that.
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM

When you purchased the ticket you agreed to the terms and conditions of the airline for that fare. You should read the t&c for the ticket you bought to see what the rules are.
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Expedia may have there own terms, too.
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I had British Airways tickets, booked with them. I could not make a change or cancel. i lost the money.