If NWA Goes - Can I?

Feb 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

If NWA Goes - Can I?

I'm planning a trip to Tanzania in May (RSW - JRO). The most reasonable routes are all NWA flights (from AMS to JRO is only KLM, NWA partner). I'm planning to book in the next 2 weeks.

Now, I'm seeing the words NWA strike appear in the news. My question isn't about refunds or ticket validity, but rather how do I travel is NWA is not flying in May?

Since I would be relying on NWA from RSW to AMS, there are no obvious alternates. How would I make that leg work if NWA is not available?

Would anyone accept that ticket since it would involve multiple airlines and different cities?

Thanks
Feb 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM

First, if you book all your flights as KL flight number, you'll have more protection. KLM/AF is not in bankruptcy, and they'll get you to JRO one way or another.

As for exact routes if NW's not flying, that'd depend on what KLM will do for you. Many ways they can get you to AMS. They can fly you to AMS on Continental RSW-EWR-AMS; or via other KL gateways. Or using DL via Atlanta, etc...
Feb 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Great response, thanks.

But, how to book via KLM? If I go to the KLM site, it refers me back to NWA. All US flites have NW numbers.

Am I missing something?
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Yes, you have to book through nwa.com since you live in N. America. But if you click on "more search options" near the bottom of the flight search box, it'll bring you to a different page.

From there, type in your cities and dates, and then click "Search by Schedule" or "Search by Price/Schedule", it will give you more results, and there should be some that's entirely on KLM and/or Continental flight numbers. Those two airlines are stable, and they will honor the ticket even if NWA shuts down.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks, rkkwan, that helps me. I was the one who asked about KLM gates. In going into the search options on NW I found KLM has a flight out of CLT that is the same time schedule as the one my daughter and I have to Amsterdam April 18-26. Therefore if NW does strike just maybe KLM would pick up our fight. There is even a second flight from CLT that goes later in the afternoon.
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM

maryanne1 - If you're flying CLT-DTW, then you're flying a NW plane, regardless of NW or KL flight number. If NW's pilots go on strike, that flight will not operate. KLM will not and cannot operate any of NW's domestic flights for them. They may pick up a few DTW-AMS or MSP-AMS, but that's it.

The difference is that if you're on a KL ticket, you get more protection because you're a KL customer and they'll have to accomodate you. Yes, NW takes care of KL's customer service here in the US, but in my opinion, you'll still be better off with a KL ticket and KL flight number - as you'll more likely to be reaccommodated on other KL/AF/CO/DL flights ahead of a NW passenger, who'll be in horrendous shape.
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Be very careful. Many flights that have a KLM flight number are flown by Northwest. You will want to call and check before making a move.
Feb 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM

I already have these tickets with NW. One is a FF ticket booked 6 months ago. The other one I bought. So what you are saying I may be out of luck. It will be wait and see.
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

OK, I was able to find some flights that have a KLM number - but, we all know that they are really NWA flights. From RSW to DTW is NWA, but I think DTW to AMS is also NWA. Alternatives (at the point of booking) might be CO or DL. But these flights are $ thousands more than the NWA-KLM.

While I still have time to choose, what is a reasonable choice? Thanks
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM

boomerm3 - If you search on nwa.com, you may be able to find some flights that are KLM and Continental only. If not, then try a third-party site like Orbitz, which may have them.

Or try to price the flights seperately.