Changing flights - why so expensive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I booked Delta to Cairo in October and am considering changing our trip to November. However, from reading the fare rules on Delta's site it appears there's a $200(!) fee to make a change. That seems outrageous. Is it really that expensive for the airlines to make a rebooking several months out? It seems to me like "skyway robbery". Is there any way around this or am I stuck?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I do agree with your feelings. If the change is last-minute, I can understand an extra cost - high fees for changes months in advance are hard to accept. I guess it just goes along with everything else airlines are charging for now, though.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM

The ticket you bought required you to "commit" to those flights. Tickets with options to change without fee are available, but those tickets are more expensive. Delta's fee isn't "outrageous," it's the fee you agreed to in exchange for a discounted ticket.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:08 AM

This is the way my airline friends explain it: "We'll give you a cheap ticket, and tack on a few rules." Nothing outrageous about that.Dont want the "rules", pay a higher fare.Very simple.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:56 AM

While it is sometimes irritating, all the airlines clearly state the fees if you change one of their cheap tickets. They offer those - and most of the time, it gives them a clear view of the volume of passengers. Before they did that, people would change their flights constantly (ok, maybe that was just me) - but now, if I buy that fare, I know I'm going to pay a change fee - so I plan better. I have, on occasion, purchased fully refundable fares because I knew my plans would change. For the less expensive tickets - you're probably still ahead of what the tickets would cost later on in the cycle.... I don't see any way around it, and you did know about it before you bought the ticket. Sorry.....
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM

althom1122:

Yes, a $200 fee to merely change a travel date is exhorbitant, since the actual cost to the airline is about $5. And all the carriers seem to be getting on this particular bandwagon.

Can we spell the word: R-A-C-K-E-T-E-E-R-I-N-G ?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Some people here just don't understand or refuse to learn who airfares are priced and the difference between full and discount fares.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I mean "HOW" airfares are priced.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM

$200.00 sounds like a lot.....however, it would have cost more to purchase a fare with fewer restrictions. So...in that respect, it's a pretty good deal. Always read the "fine print". If you have travel insurance, it may cover the change, but it's probably not covered if you just feel like going later in the year.