Reload this Page >

Tips for airfare discounts - returning from different city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM
J Correa

Does anybody have any advice on getting discounted airfare when returning from a different city - ie flying into New York and returning from DC? <BR><BR>Through the airlines it looks like a 30-50% fare increase vs flying into and returning from New York. On the site like hotwire and orbitz, it looks like you can only buy tickets flying into and returning from the same airport.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:29 PM
sandy

Go to Expedia or Travelocity and click on "more options" or "multi-city trips". That is where you can plug in what cities/dates you need for the open-jaw trip.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:48 PM
J Correa

Thanks Sandy! I'll try that.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:21 PM
COresBoy

If you can, try returning out of Baltimore (BWI).

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Vic

The airlines often treat open jaw tickets the same as regular round trip tickets with similar savings.<BR><BR>Just go to one of the popular online web sits and use the multi segment option. The site will construct fares when possible based on cheap restricted fare rules.<BR><BR>CoRssBoy has a good idea. The websites have an option that surveys airports within a range that you specify. If there are lower fares from alternate airports, they will show you those also.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:18 AM
David

On Orbitz if you go to multi city flights you can book the type of trip you are asking about.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Kay

Be sure to check the discounters that fly into each airport. Airlines like Southwest, Airtran, etc. offer one-way tickets at reasonable prices.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:29 PM
J Correa

I did a comparisson on Expedia: <BR><BR>SJC to JFK and Baltimore BWI to SJC - about $350+taxes per person was the cheapest<BR>SJC to JFK and Washington IAD to SJC - about $410+taxes per person was the cheapest. <BR><BR>Is it generally cheaper to fly out of Baltimore rather than Washington? <BR><BR>I am doing some preliminary research into costs for a trip back east next spring so that we can have an idea how much to budget for. So our plans are pretty flexible. <BR><BR>If we chose to fly out of Baltimore, would it be worth it to drive to Baltimore a day ahead so we could see some of the city? I have no idea what Baltimore is like. I have only seen it from the highway as we drove past on a trip from Pennsylvania to DC about 8 years ago. <BR><BR>Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Barbara

Baltimore's shoreline is very nice. The Nationla Aquarium is there. The only problem you may face is if you rent a car in one city and return it in another, the cost may be considerably more than returning it to the same city.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
J Correa

Good point about the 1 way car rental Barbara. I did a quick search on Expedia and found that renting at JFK and returning at BWI was about twice as much as renting and returning at BWI. I had no idea. I'm thinking that the drive between NY and DC is short enough that we might consider flying in and out of the same airport and just doing a little extra driving.