Reload this Page >

travelocity best fare finder & dream maps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM
julie

I use these features a lot and have found some very good fares. Does Expedia or any of the other sites have similar search functions? If they do, I haven't been able to figure out what they are. If you have never used these Travelocity features, best fare finder lets you insert the name of a city and then it will tell you what the current lowest fares are out of that city to various destinations, and dream maps lets you plug in the name of a US departure city and then find where you can go for various amounts of money.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Jennifer

Unfortunately for me, I've found travelocity to have some of the highest fares! I'm looking for prices to Moscow, and their price is a good $550. higher than most other places. Expedia is rather high (for my destination) as well. But, if you want to go there, go to expedia.com and click on "flights." It's real simple!<BR><BR>Jennifer<BR><BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
julie

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. We frequently have flexibility on dates where we can swing a day one way or another, or if we are planning a vacation can plan to take the time off when the cheapest fares are available. What I like on travelocity is the function where you can just ask for the cheapest fares, and then look to see if there is anything available on dates that would work for you. When you have to begin by plugging in a set departure and return date, you may possibly never find the really good deals, or it will take you forever to plug in the various combinations. For the trip I am currently planning, travelocity has had fares that are much better than expedia's. Sometimes I think it is because they have a special deals arrangement with certain airlines. I know that it can also work the same way for expedia when they are promoting certain partners..

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Sherry

Hi Julie. I fly out of Pittsburgh, so US Airways is the airline we use the most. I don't know where your originating city is, but there is a similar function on their site.<BR>Let us say I would like to fly to New York City, but do not have specific dates in mind. I will put in PIT to NYC and pick the flexible date choice. It will start with the cheapest fare to all airports in the NYC area and give the least expensive fare and for which dates. It is similar to the Travelocity site, but it has been available on the airline site for a long time.<BR>There is also a website called site59. You can put in your departure city and it will show you trips available from that city. But this is only for within two weeks of the current date. They just recently added PIT, so have not tested the deals. I have read that for a short term long weekend get away, you can find some good mini trips.<BR>When you find a trip with the function on Travelocity that you like, you can always double check those fares on the listed airline.<BR>I have to agree with you that it is difficult to sometimes bring up the lowest fare.<BR>I like to also check Continental, especially to New York. But that involves plugging many different dates into their site to try to come up with an inexpensive rate. It is really hit and miss.<BR>Try the US Airways site and see what I mean.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Jennifer

Hi Julie,<BR><BR>Oh, I know what you mean. But at least for Moscow, all their fares were significantly higher. And I was flexible within weeks, not days! Out of curiosity, what other agencies have you used? I'm sure they each company takes turns as to who has the "lowest" fares at any given time! From my research, Travelselect.com has some of the lowest fares I've seen. But I always want to check out everything.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:04 PM
julie

I live in Minneapolis and Northwest kind of has a lock on the market here. As far as sites I've used Orbitz which sometimes has cheaper fares. I've never had any success with cheap fares and such sites. I've also downloaded side step which will run simultaneously with one of the other sites and see if it can find cheaper fares. sometimes they do.