Suggestions needed to get seats together.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions needed to get seats together.

I've seen it happen on flights I've been on and now it's my family trying to get seats together

Our son and his family are flying DTW to BWI on NWA Wed. June 11th to be with us when my husband's company hosts his retirement party. Nathan is flying with his wife and three sons, 6 and 4 year old twins. They have seats arriving but not returning. When he booked the flights last week he tried everything to get seats assigned without success. For the return on the 15th there were only 3 singles in various locations available. I suppose he could have put one of each of the boys in those seats and watch the other passengers cringe They don't expect to be seated all together, they just want one parent with the 4 year olds at least, and the 6 year old within eyesight.

Can you give any suggestions for getting seat assignments earlier than the 24 hours before flight that appears to be their only choice right now. I don't think they were even allowed to purchase the "premium" seats NWA so kindly offers

thanks for any help you can give us. Deborah
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM

I don't have a great solution, but try to get as many aisles and windows as you can right now, even if not together, because those will be easier to swap with people in middle seats.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Yup - usually, when treated politely, the FA will help you get together by swapping with other passengers - just ask really nicely!
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Also, get to the airport really early -- the airlines routinely keep some seats out of the early-selection pool so they will have some flexibilty to make last minute assignments when the need arises.
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies, I remember a post awhile back about switching seats, I just hope my family isn't on a flight with alot of the posters on that thread Nathan is going to keep calling NWA reservations to find someone sympathetic to their plight, we remain ever hopefull. thanks again, Deborah
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I believe that some airlines (including NW) routinely hold the seats in the last couple of rows for exactly this type of situation - to seat a family all together. (The seats look "taken" when you look at the seat map on-line.) And then they release them closer to the flight. The gate agent should have those seats to offer them when they get to the gate.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Had a conversation with a NW phone agent on a similar topic today. She explains:

paraphrasing "When you can't access the seat selection online, it's because the % of seats allotted for pre-selection are already gone. A block of seats is held back for the purpose of accomodating their high-paying, last minute business travelers, for parents with children, for the elderly, and for wheelchair passengers. Call 24 hrs before and take your best shot."

And the early to the airport routine is always good, too.

Also, I suggest that when checking in for the outbound flight they ask about those seats. You never know. Also, by then something might have opened up.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM

We had this happen a couple of years ago when the kids were 5 and 8. We had 4 separate seats - we just wanted 2 and 2 so we could sit with the kids - at least the 5 year old. They were able to make the changes at the gate. We were sweating a bit but they don't want the kids by themselves either. They should be able to get it worked out.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM

You might try calling the airline and explaining that there are children traveling with you and if there is any way they can assign your seats together. Sometimes under these circumstances, they will go ahead and assign you the "premium" seats, reserved for certain frequent flyer levels.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM

The airline won't want the children sitting with strangers so they will sort this out for you either when you check in or at the gate.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM

If you booked the reservations online, I would check the seats periodically and see if any seats have become available due to cancellations. Also, check out the airlines upgrade policy. Although it may not apply to you, it could also free up seats if an airline's "elite" flyers upgrade.
The link for NWA is
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.shtml
Also, check in at the first possible time (24hours?) to snag any seats that may not have been available. Next, I would check with the agent at the check-in counter before going to the departure gate since this should be staffed well before the boarding gate. (Gate agents at your gate may not be able to assist you if they are not working your specific flight.) Lastly, if you still need help, get seats in the gate room close to the gate agent and ask them to assist. If they see you and your clan, they are less likely to forget about you. I would NOT wait until you are on the plane to try to negotiate seat changes. Once seated with carry ons stowed, that seat can become like cement to a passengers behind.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM

<<The airline won't want the children sitting with strangers so they will sort this out for you either when you check in or at the gate.>>

True to a point, but the other passengers will certainly appreciate it if you have taken care of the issue beforehand. One thing we should know this season: planes will be full, and whatever you thought you knew about flying 5 yrs ago or last yr has changed.

Plan ahead! When fliying with 4 or more people, ARRIVE well ahead - with full planes, you don't want to check in when there are only 3 seats left ANYWHERE on the plane!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM

Procedures among airlines may vary, and it is always possible that an employee may make an exception. but on the two airlines where I think I have accurate information, phone agents are not supposed to make exceptional seating arrangements (which is not to say that you cannot change your seats online if seats are available, and the FA's are also not to make such adjustments. The GA (gate agent) has the authority to release gate controlled seats, and in fact can actually move passengers to make such accommodations. So my suggestion is that you check the web site daily and try to make your own changes (note that children and people who are incapable of operating the escape hatches cannot sit in an exit row seat, and will be reseated if they grab one), including checking availability when you check in on-line, if you do, and grab seats that previously had been held for FF members or who have been upgraded to better seats. If that doesn't work, get to the gate early and explain your situation to the gate agent, as soon as they arrive and open for business, and they will almost certainly be able to provide some relief.