Splitting the ticket

Search

Splitting the ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splitting the ticket

I'm not sure what to call my "situation", but here's the rub. In the fall or early winter of this year I want to go from LAX to OSL (Oslo, Norway) on a business class ticket using United. The price quoted by UAL is outrageous to me, over $8K. I'm a bit miffed since I just flew BC from LAX to London on $3K. I know London is often the cheapest destination but a $5K difference? Ouch!! The only option that seems to work is purchasing an LAX-LHR business class ticket for $3K and then catching a separate Brit Airways flight from LHR-OSL for around $500 USD (Club Class). Just wondering how common this is or am I just not doing something right? By the way, I want United for the miles and BC because of the extra room (I'm plus-sized and feel the BC seats are a perfect fit for me). Any thoughts?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Be very wary if you are going to do any intra-Euro flying in what the Euro carriers call First/Business/Club etc. They are not normal longhaul premium cabins and often are just the normal 3 seats of Y seating with the middle seat blocked out. Simply not worth the $ for the relatively short flying time IMHO.

I'd suggest checking with local consolidator type agencies for their wholesale/consolidator type tickets. If you are after miles with UA then you have the Star Alliance partner carriers to also choose from - bound to be a good consolidator deal somewhere in there using solely, or a combination of, UA LH SK BD LO OS NZ SQ US and AC flights to and within Europe.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Yikes, I punch in some random dates in late October, and the Skyteam Airlines have much better price. KL/NW (via AMS), CO (via EWR), and AF (CDG) all have business fares <$2,900 to Oslo.

May want to wait a little to see if UA, LH or SAS will lower their price.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you do fly on BA to OSL, they run A320s on that route, and you want to be in the 2-seat (A/B) side in Club Europe for a more comfortable ride. The other side has 3 seats, which they regularly sell. Sitting in a middle seat in business is a sucky idea.

Also note that BA use LHR Terminal 4 for OSL flights. Good if you're riding BA over the water, bad if you're connecting (especially with bags if you can't through-check) from an airline that uses another Heathrow terminal.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM

$3K LAX-LHR sounds like a discounted, restricted business fare (at United, known as a Z fare); $8K sounds like full-fare business. United's Z fares are not always available, and when they are, they don't necessarily cover every market. I have seen some United-marketed Z fares on Lufthansa on occasion (bought one, myself, last year to Italy), so you might keep an eye out for those. I recall seeing some Z fares available on LH and UA for June when I was shopping for tickets about three months ago.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the suggestions. I can't believe the difference between what UA is charging and what's available from other carriers like Continental and Air France. Maybe those miles aren't that important after all!

MS- I did have a "Z" ticket last time I flew to LHR. I have a lot of time, so I'll keep an eye out for one.