Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I buy airline tickets now, or closer to the date of departure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Marcy

Hello everyone,<BR>I will be traveling to Rome late February 2003. I found a good price on Delta (around 478.00 r/t). Should I buy now, or wait and check closer to my departure date? Have you ever seen prices lower than this? I'd hate to loose it, but I heard that prices go down around January, is this true?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Jim Rosenberg

That is a decent fare. If you can get the dates/flights you want, I would lock in. Cheaps seats sell out and that's a cheap seat.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Love

That seems to be the going rate from US to Europe around that time. I just priced AA Tampa-London and it was exectly the same. I also priced Dallas to Paris for a friend in March and again almost the same price. I don't want to confuse you, because this year might be different but late February of this year, I flew to London from Tampa via Dallas on AA for a total price of $378.00. I bought the ticket in mid-January. But again, it was still close to post 9/11 and people were still not flying as much. One thing that I will disagree with Jim about is, that the going rate will not be around. I believe it will be available till at least end of this year. The airlines are still hurting so this in not a one time sale. It might go up here and there, but it will also come down.<BR>Having said that, I still want you to weight all the possibilities and make a decision. Would it be worth to you to gamble let's say $50 to possibly save $50. If you feel comfortable with the current fare, then by all means go for it.<BR>Have a great trip!

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I don't think we GROSSLY disagree and it certainly is possible that lower fares will appear. Also, I don't know where Marcy's trip is originating from. Traditionally, I've done best for that period buying in November and January tends to have it's share of bargains, too. Having said that, London had cheaper fares than Rome in many cases last year and what I think I'm seeing is that the airlines are doing a pretty good job of selling -- even overselling -- COACH seats. Many still have less flights to sell. Where they're really missing the revenue is in the business/first class seats. When you start plugging in specific dates against fare sale prices, you can sometimes have a hard time making the lowest fares work. But it's true that the airlines will continue fare sales if they have a lot of unbooked capacity and that would increase the supply of lower fare class seats. We're gambling on everything from oil prices to the stock market and world events between now and then. Crystal ball anyone?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Rex

In his second post, Jim got to the (somewhat) most crucial point - - that without knowing the origination city, it really isn't all that possible to advise Marcy. I'd urge taking a look at the current British Airways sale, if the travel is in February - - even though I am not a very big fan of BA, with their stingy carry-on limit of 5 kg.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:17 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Love

Rex,<BR>Unless Marcy lives in no man's land, the fares are not that much different, even when an airline has to bring you to their hub, in which case they usualy charge a minimal difference.<BR>Allow me to give you an exemple. I priced DFW-LGW - 472.80, TPA-DFW-LGW - 476.80. The DFW-LGW flights were exectly the same.<BR>Now as far as any big difference, the west coast is somewhat higher. the rest of the country is within 40.00. <BR>I priced an imaginery itinerary - leaving on February 5 to London and returning on February 12. Here are the results:<BR>West coast - I did LAX,SFO,SEA - the lowest price LAX at 523.30, the highest SEA at 546.80 with SFO in between.<BR>Rest of the country - The lowest ORD at 453.80 with the highest LGA at $495.30 with BOS,MIA,STL,DFW,TPA somewhere inbetween. So you see my friend the difference is only 40.00 between the rest of the country and 25.00 between west coast cities. This was priced on AA.com as that's the airline I know and love. (This year I will do about 75000 miles on it) So yes Rex one could advise Marcy in the general terms without knowing all the details. Obviously, knowing the details one could help even more. That's all!

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Rex

Dear Love ([email protected])<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;Unless Marcy lives in no man's land, the fares are not that much different, even when an airline has to bring you to their hub, in which case they usualy charge a minimal difference.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I think about 80% of the US falls in this "no man's land."<BR><BR>But I'll agree on one point. To make an analysis, it does help to have the facts. This is not an exhaustive survey. I used Orbitz, and the dates you proposed: Feb 5 to 12<BR><BR>from NYC $419<BR>from CMH $529<BR>from ABQ $639<BR><BR>These are all three on Delta, priced today, Aug 10, for travel to Rome, Feb 5 to 12, 2003.<BR><BR>So, if Marcy lives in Albuquerque, and by some stroke of luck (maybe skyauction?) found a price of $478, then I say she should jump on it right now. But if she lives in New York, I think a price will come along like this most any day - - for travel in February.<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Love

Thta's precisely my point. Basically, I was trying to tell Marcy, that the fare she quoted is fairly good. She won't be able to do much better (no matter where she lives). In my first reply I used couple of examples plus a reference to what I paid last winter. Finally I was trying for her to understand that her fare in case she decides to wait will not be that much less, nor will it be that much more. But weirder stuff has happened.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM

topping<BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:30 PM

topping