Search

Advice/Input on BA flight connection times

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Input on BA flight connection times

Hi Everyone,

We are a group of 2 families flying Dulles to Athens in June - I have been watching air for weeks and prices are high. I don't want to wait too much longer because there are 10 of us traveling and I don't want the "lower" fare class to sell out.

Anyway, the least expensive option is $1398 per ticket (yikes). It is on BA IAD to LHR and then on to ATH. The best timing allows only a 1 hr. 20 min connection at LHR which would have us arrive in ATH at 2 pm. Or, we can extend our layover to almost 5 hours, arriving into ATH at 5:30 pm which is clearly a much less desireable travel day. Still, with so many of us I wonder if it would be difficult to "bump" us to the later flight if we miss our connection - we travel light and move quickly, but we cannot control delays or long lines.

So....what advice or input can you give on which flight to book?

My other complaint/issue is that BA will NOT allow us to reserve seats (at least on the computer - I have not called yet - should I? and say what?). While I am used to this for intraEurope flights (ie. the LHR-ATH portion), I am surprised that they are showing airport check-in only for the IAD to LHR as it is October and we are planning way ahead. Sure, it is a "lower" class of service, but we are paying $1400 per person and they will have our money for months. As a family traveling together, paying a good amount and reserving so early, I would think they would value our business enough to let us reserve a seat (I am not asking for premium seating, just hoping to avoid being spread out or stuck in a "dreaded" middle seat). Comments or suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to offer any input you may have. I don't know why, but I am stewing over this decision.
Happy travels.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM

$1,400 is not a good fare. You're still many months away, so no hurry to book them. These are already high fares and the fare class will be available for a long time.

BA's policy is no seat assignments unless you have elite status. And $1,400 is far from being full fare.

If you don't like BA and LHR, and have to book today, Iberia and Delta both have fares <$1,400 IAD-ATH for June.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM

2 other possible options.

1. Call the airline(s) and ask for group rate.

2. Fly to a major European hub (LON, CDG, AMS or FRA) and buy seperate tickets from a low cost carrier.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

I know $1400 is not good, but I watched air all last winter not go down for summer in Europe for 2007 and after 3 months of watching for this year, I was getting nervous. Our dates are not flexible.

I didn't consider the group route - I will try that.

I am amazed about the Iberia thing as Apollo was not showing that as bookable, but their website is so that may be a great option. Is one carrier or another (Iberia v. BA) better in terms of pitch, legroom, etc..? Also, Delta was showing more expensive when I last checked kayak, but I will definitely look again directly on their website- Thanks!!!

I will also check using a low-cost carrier. I just thought of that after I posted.

Gotta run now. I will report back with what I find. You are both much more knowledgeable about air than I can ever hope to be. Thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Another point is that it's not very meaningful to worry about connection time this far out. Lots can change between now and then. Especially with BA having the big move to LHR T5 in late March.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Since you need ten tickets, how much inconvenience are you willing to put up with?

IAD to Dublin is $731.00. From Dublin, there are many options but make sure you allow time. Flying to Berlin or Paris and connecting with EasyJet to Athens, or flights from Dublin to Athens will have a stopover. This will bring the price down to around $1,100.

I would check out flying to Berlin as www.airberlin.com has many flights to Athens and the islands.

Dublin is a rather crazy airport, too, but at least your luggage won't become a part of Mt. Heathrow.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:21 AM

I would not suggest connecting to a low-cost airline with a connection in between.

But Aer Lingus does fly IAD-DUB about 5 times a week, and then DUB-ATH three times a week.

You cannot book IAD-DUB-ATH on the same ticket on their website, but separately they're bookable for next June. IAD-DUB roundtrip is only $550, and DUB-ATH is about 250EUR. If you can find dates that work for you (with or without a overnight layover at DUB), that can save you significant money.

However, I still worry about the schedule. They fly there only 3 times a week, and if they have a schedule change between now and then, you may be screwed, especially if you can't book the two on the same ticket.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Regarding connection times, I actually doubt if 80 min. would be allowed, even with T5 open. Incoming morning flights to LHR are quite often late arriving, which would make your connection, and especially your bags' connection, highly doubtful. Ten people with no luggage and you to blame? Oy gevalt.

I also think it's too early; however with ten it merits some investigation.

I'd also look at originating outside the DC area - I can see $1250 nonstops from PHL on USAir (yech) to Athens for arbitrary days in June.

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Your replies have been very helpful as sort through options and prioritize. While I do not want to overpay or waste money, I also accept that this is going to be expensive and I am not willing to get into double connections or poor flight times to save a relatively small amount of money. Convenience and enjoying our trip (as much as possible when it comes to flying for me) is very important.

rkkwan - Thanks for the explanation about BA's seat policy. I didn't realize they only assign seats for elite status - for some reason I thought we were able to secure seats when we flew with them to London 2 years ago, but I must be confused. I know we have gotten them with United and Delta this year (IAD-FRA and IAD-CDG). And, I do understand our ticket class is not full fare, but I still find it frustrating. But, it is what it is.

The Delta flight is a morning flight so that won't work for us, but the Iberia looks good. Layovers are a bit long, but not too bad and the price is the best I have found yet - around $1250. I am leaning towards taking those. Comments on Iberia seat pitch, service, etc....? I have never flown them. Quite frankly, with the "cheap seats," I am not sure that one airline vs. another makes that much difference, but I like to make the best choice I can.

The Aer Lingus dates don't work, but their prices across the board seemed pretty good so it is good to know to check with them.

AAFF- Haven't had time to call re: the group thing yet, but the hub attmepts were not better - in terms of price or convenience (although I am using Aegean and Olympic for some low-cost hops while we are in Greece).

Wally - thanks for expanding my thinking. It helped me prioritize that I am willing to pay more for convenience! I don't want that much craziness to save a few bucks.

Gardyloo- That 80 minute connection time had me worried too - that is why I asked. BUT, it is allowed and is being sold as the regular connection coming up on kayak and Apollo as well as, I believe, Expedia. I think you and rkkwan also make a good point about the possibility/liklihood of changes booking this far out, especially with the new terminal move in March.

I will keep you posted and welcome other suggestions. Right now, I am leaning towards the Iberia flights through Madrid. Better price and we can be done with it.

Happy travels
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM

For comments about Iberia, click on the link. Not too many people give economy glowing reviews.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/iberia.htm
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM

fun4all4 - You were not confused. BA changed their policy only about a year ago, or maybe not quite a year.