Search

BA stand by policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA stand by policy

Does anyone know if BA will allow you to standby for a connector flight? My flight leaves 2.5 hrs after my first leg. There is a flight leaving Heathrow 65 minutes after my plane is supposed to land. Every time I've flown the first leg, we've been 20-30 minutes early. So far it looks like there are plenty of seats on the earlier flight. I will only have carry-on.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:34 PM

With BA it's all about fare rules. Depending on your fare, you may be able to standby for the earlier flight, but if it's one of the super-duper discounted economy fares? forget about it!

It really doesn't matter if the earlier flight is empty and the later one is full. The Brits are sticklers to rules...... (to be fair, most other airlines have fare rules as well, and in most cases they stick to it or at the very least have a fee associated with a change, but the standby policy with BA is somewhat ridiculous as it doesn't even allow a change for a fee with cheap fares)

Hope I'm wrong, but that's the way it was couple of years ago. That's why I hardly ever fly BA, unless I have no choice.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Ditto what AAFF said.

If you want the flexibility, you need to pay for it from the outset. The policy is enforced strictly and, although it seems harsh, is one reason why BA doesn't haemorrhage money like their full service American counterparts.

Standby is pretty much an alien concept in Europe, particulatly in the UK.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
P_M

The above posters are probably right, but it never hurts to ask once you get there.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:45 AM

Asking for "standby" in Europe invariably means handing over over a very large sum of money roughly in size to the more expensive ticket on that flight
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:13 AM
P_M

I thought of something later. If you are flying coach, then BA's carry-on allowance is only 13 pounds, or 6kg. Are you sure you won't be checking luggage?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Can't find my ticket restrictions, just says "click for more details" but gives none. It is changeable.

I am not in coach class so my hand luggage restrictions are higher. Luggage easily fits in the weight allotments.

If I can make it to the next gate in enough time (forgot I have to go thru immigration since London is my UK port of entry), I'll ask about stand-by. I guess class of ticket may make a difference.
I'll post my experience when I get back.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:01 AM
P_M

I don't think you will go through immigration if you are only making a connection in London. Will you be flying to another part of the UK or somewhere else?