LAX to TOKYO

Old Dec 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX to TOKYO

Would like opinions on the best airline to fly from LAX to TOYKO in business or first class. Thanks in advance
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 03:54 AM

deedeedee, you have a lot of choices. Of the airlines that I've flown in first or business and that fly non-stop LAX to Tokyo, I'd rank them this way:

1. Singapore - extremely comfortable F and J seats, excellent food (including "book the cook" where you can order meals in advance), attentive service in the air, and good (not always great) ground service. <b>However</b>, SQ stops flying this route sometime in March.

2. ANA - First class is on a par with Singapore: ultra-comfortable and roomy first-class suite, superb food (especially from Tokyo), and terrific in-flight service. Business class has angled flat seats, which I find comfortable enough, though not as good as horizontal seats.

3. JAL - Very similar to ANA in seats comfort and service. They had an economic crisis last year, and in the 1 flight I've had with them since, I noticed no difference in service/food. Still offer top-notch product.

Flight attendants for all three of the previous airlines keep the premium-class bathrooms clean during the flight.

4. American - Their first-class suite is actually one my favorite F suite when in the air. It pivots toward the window, which gives you a sense of privacy, and it's roomy and comfortable. The business class seat, by comparison, is among the worst: angled, not at all roomy. Food is usually OK, though you run some risk of not having your 1st choice on a full flight. Fewer flight attendants in the premium cabins than on Asian airlines, so consequently worse service. Ground and telephone support are usually ok.

5. United - Except for seat comfort, consistently the worst of the worst. The seats -- both their F suite and lie-flat business seat -- are very good. Everything else betrays the rampant cost-cutting that United has shown for the past 5-8 years: hopelessly poor catering, long check-in lines for premium passengers (fewer check-in agents), long waits for baggage (fewer baggage handlers), and the minimum number of flight attendants permitted by law. If you need to telephone them for anything, you will likely be envious of anyone who is currently living in Hell. The premium cabins are almost always chock-full, because United, far more than any other airline I know, will fill these cabins with a combination of their own employees and upgraded revenue customers (far easier to upgrade on United than on Asian carriers).

Korean (about which I have heard very good things for the F and J products) and Delta also fly the route, but I haven't flown either in the Int'l premium cabins, so won't comment.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Really depends on what you mean by "best" but for me

Condering all issues including FF miles DIRECT flights price

for me United offers the best direct currently...

http://www.cheapoair.com/travel/trav...ss_airfare.asp

Good screening site for you...

If money is of no importance then Singapore Airlines.

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM

forgot www.airawards.com saves me a lot

sometimes on business/first fares too...

might check with them also again for best price...

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank all of you for your advice .
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

No seats available on JAL or ANA on Jan. 9 for business or first using my Amex points to get a seat. I do have some points in my Delta account. Has anyone flown on Delta (business elite) from LAX to TOKYO ? How was the comfort level ? Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM

FYI: the UA flight LAX-NRT on Jan 9 would have been on a 777 with the old bucket seats. They started using the 777 last fall.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM

I would clarify that Singapore does NOT stop flying LAX to Tokyo as of March. Instead, they switch their equipment on that route in March from a 747 to an A380...which then brings, in my opinion, the business and first options to the top of the list. Their brand new biz class seats on the A380 are the widest and arguably the most comfortable in the skies. Might be hard to redeem awards, but definitely worth a shot.