Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Singapore Airlines economy plus really better?

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using frequent flyer miles, I can either take Singapore Airline from LAX to Vietnam (via Singapore) or United or Japan Airlines.
The Singapore agent told me that the nonstops from LAX to Singapore have extra wide seats and more leg room and are in 2-3-2 configuration, which is obviously better for a couple traveling together.
Anyone had experience with the Singapore airlines nonstops in economy and can confirm this?
thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM

The LAX - SIN route, IF it uses the A340-500 plane, has 37" seat pitch in economy, which is 5-6" more than standard economy in any airline. Just be sure you are booked on a flight that uses that exact plane...there are only 5 of them. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sin...irbus_A345.php
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

yes, it's the 345 that singapore air flies on that route. it is an 18 hour flight!
also, i was told that on other flights they will only take seat requests in economy and won't confirm an actual seat assignment, but that on these long nonstops they will confirm an actual seat.
so also interested if anyone else has experience with this.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Alison -

I live in Indonesia and I fly from Singapore to LAX on Singapore Air in Executive Economy a couple of times a year. I have nothing but positive things to say about SQ and this flight in particular.

It's as comfortable as you're going to get spending 17-18 hours on a plane in non business or first class.

The seats are roomy, there's more leg room, and the entertainment system is the best I've ever run across on ANY airline.

SQ's Executive Economy seats are nothing like US based airlines Economy Plus seats - they're worlds apart and SQ wins hands down.

SQ also has incredible service - the flight attendants are attentive and respect the passengers need for quiet. A couple of meals are offered and drinks and hot snacks are available throughout the flight. They even set up a snack station in the galley so you can help yourself.

I recently flew United Business Class from Singapore-Narita-SFO because I had some miles burning a hole in my pocket. What a disaster - I regretted not taking SQ's direct flight from SIN-LAX in Executive Economy instead.

FYI - You can book your seats online using SQ's website after you've booked your tickets.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM

There was a recent thread on this very topic a few weeks back on the airlines forum - here it is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=35076918

Premium/Executive Economy is interchangable - I can't ever remember what SQ calls it.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:57 AM

You are actually saying that on the whole the seats in "Executive Economy" were better than in another airline's Business Class? Did they both have the same amount of recline?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Given that the Singapore Air flight includes about 3 hours more flying time (flying through Singapore a bit out of the way compared to HK or Tokyo), it still seems based on these reviews that it is worth it!
anyone have experience getting actual economy seat assignments on the Singapore/LAX nonstop?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

The few times we have used Sing we were unable to get seat assignments ahead of time. Sing is a great airline but this is one of their few drawbacks- and on an overseas trip - you want to know where your seats are!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM

I've read on flyertalk that you can get advance seat assignments for Singapore Air if you make a reservation direct on their website, but not if you book with a travel agent. BillT-how did you book?
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM

We used FF miles and went thru United.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Dukey -

No. I'm saying that Singapore Air Premium/Executive Economy is worlds better than any US based airline's version of Economy Plus. I'm also saying that my most recent travel experience in United Business Class on two international flights was a complete debacle.

Mechanical problems on both legs led to multiple missed connections, lost hotel reservations, inconvenienct re-routing, lost seat reservations, a 24 hour delay and ultimately lost luggage. Flight attendants were noisy and didn't respect their exhausted passengers' need to sleep.

There's not an airline seat in the world that could make up for that many headaches on BOTH legs of that trip.

SQ Premium/Executive Economy isn't Business Class, but it's as close as you're going to get.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Alison -

We always book our seats on Singapore Air - we book the flights using their website and then book our seats and request special meals after booking the flights.

On the LAX-SIN flight we try to get the seats in the middle section of the last two rows - only two seats back there and we can then both have aisle seats. Never had a problem booking seats on SQ regardless of class of service.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:34 AM

I have flown all the airlines that you mention (internationally, but not that route) and Singapore airlines is by far the best, though I've only flown economy. I hate to fly, and Singapore is the only airline that I've thought - after an 8 hour flight - "oh, are we there already?". It has a great video system with more choices that any other I've seen, and Singapore stresses customer service. The one time my plane left late, due to a snowstorm in Tokyo, I was worried about my hotel reservation because I hadn't prepaid. In midflight the flight attendant contacted the ground staff who sent a fax to my hotel. I've found that you can request a seat assignment if you call Singapore directly. Be warned, though, in Tokyo at least, they have the odd custom of having an actual person answer the phone. Wow. The first time I called I sat and waited for the rest of the announcement telling me what buttons to push for what, and how important I was to them. But, no announcement, just a real person ready to help. The only drawback I've found to SA is that they have a pretty strict frequent flyer program.