EWR - SIN Premium Economy on Singapore Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that the service from EWR to SIN is all premium economy. How is this flight? I am trying to find an award ticket seat in BIZ but Economy is the only one available. How does one survive 18 hours?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...class_seat.jsp
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Lovely, but how much pain will i suffer?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM

The average economy seat pitch on most airlines is ~30-32". This one is 37". Only you know if it's good enough for you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:09 AM

Some people don't survive. That's why SQ has onboard "storage" space for you after you expire.

All these longhaul flights are extremely painful. In fact, study shows that almost 10% of all Tylenols and Advils are consumed by longhaul flyers.

You should look into business class seats on SQ's JFK-FRA-SIN instead. The non-stop is not for you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Oh, I made up some of the stuff in my last post.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

I've done this flight twice in the past two years. The flight is about 18.5 hrs each way, plus or minus a few minutes. By the way, its the longest non-stop flight in the world. Both times I flew EEcon. Not only do the seats have a 37" pitch they are 20" wide, which is as wide as most domestic first class. For me the flight is fine. The AVOD on SQ is one of the best out there. Food is good for airline food but they have a snack area in the rear of the plane. The secret is to get up and walk around every few hours. Any more questions let me know. By the way, if you take this flight don't be concerned about the take off. It is the longs roll outs I have ever experienced.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

All good info, I am actually trying to get seats in Biz class using miles. I can get my butt to Asia and around Asia in Biz class, but the return trip is only available in economy. I figure if I take the economy seats on the return, Singapore is the best way to go. If I book this using miles for Biz seats, I am also entitled to get the Biz seat if they come available.

Personally a 6hr flight in United Economy Plus is all I can stand, I have done a 12 hr flight on LH in coach to Europe and it wasn't too bad.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've flown Singapore Air's Executive Economy from Singapore to LAX several times in the last few years (just a wee bit shorter than your flight - 15.5 hours one way and 17 hours coming back).

United Economy Plus isn't even in the same league as Singapore Air's Executive Economy - Singapore Air is world's better IMO.

You'll be well taken care of and will be as comfortable as a non-business/first class passenger can possibly be while trapped on a plane for 18 hours.

For what it's worth - I've had a much better experience flying SIN in Executive Economy from SIN-LAX than flying United Business Class from SIN-Narita-SFO.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM

I agree with Melnq8. UA E+ is no true comparison to SQ EE. The food, free alcohol. attention to passenger comfort, AVOD are some of the main differences. Keep in mind no US carriers can really compare in regards to service and quality of operation with most non-US carriers. Premium carrriers excepted (EOS, etc.).