JFK connection to Chicago question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My teenage daughter is landing in JFK on an international flight at 3:30pm. Clearing customs and immigration, she is taking an 8:30pm flight out to Chicago. I didn't think the earlier flight, at 5:30, would be safe enough to catch...

She can chose between a
Delta (Comair) flight, leaving from T3, equipment is CRJ 700
or a
JetBlue flight leaving from I believe T2 on Embraer 190.

Prices are the same, about $150 total. Which is one would be more convenient for her, after a 10 hour cross Atlantic flight?

PLEASE, ASAP, MUST DECIDE THIS AFTERNOON....

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM

JetBlue is a much more pleasant experience: more room, fewer children acting up (they've got TVs at each seat), and generally a more positive atmosphere. JetBlue are in T5, I believe. Very simple to transfer between terminals using the rail system.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
J62

What airline is she flying with into JFK? If it is a delta partner then I'd just book delta. She could then try to link the 2 itineraries, checkin at the origin all the way through to Chicago, incl boarding pass, + get bags tagged all the way to Chicago (still need to claim at customs in JFK). If she gets the itineraries linked she'd have more JFK-ORD protection should there be significant delays into JFK.

The CRJ700 is pretty similar to a E190. Agree w/ rizzuto - TV & seats on JetBlue are nice.

Many (but not all) airlines will let you hop on an earlier same day flight for free. Not sure about JetBlue or Delta as I've only done this on AA. I'd book the 8:30 then if she arrived in time for the 5:30 try to jump on that one. If her bags are tagged through to ORD she'd need to make sure they were retagged for the earlier flight, else she'd have to wait till they showed up on the later flight.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies....

She's arriving on El-Al, which is not a Delta partner (I think they're now partnering with AA). The earlier Delta flight is at 5:30 so with a 3:30 landing, there's little chance, unless her flight lands early and immigration is empty....

Jet blue's earlier flight is at 4pm.

So they use comparable equipment, the price is the same, but JetBlue is a bit nicer.... Do both charge for luggage?
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I went with Delta, just for the chance of her being able to hop on their earlier, 5:40 flight.... And if that flight is delayed, even better.....