Rcommended flights - PHL to JNB & CPT?

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rcommended flights - PHL to JNB & CPT?

I'm looking at one of three flight combinations for PHL to South Africa. I will fly to JNB, and then two weeks later my partner will fly to CPT where we will meet. We will fly back together from JNB to PHL.

The three combos that seems to work best for duration and price are:

SAA from PHL to IAD to JNB/CPT on Airbus 340 for the long leg.

Delta from PHL to Atlanta to JNB on 777 for the long leg. (Partner would have to change in JNB to CPT)

Northwest/KLM from PHL to Detroit to Amsterdam to JNB/CPT. Using 777s for the long legs.

I have roughly the same options from EWR (Newark).

The Northwest route is attractive because it breaks up the long leg with changing planes in Amsterdam without adding too much to the total travel time. Good leg stretcher and real restrooms/food/beverage. However, 777s mean my partner and I would have to share a row with another person, while the A340s on SAA would allow us to have a 2 seat row to ourselves.

If any of these flights tend to not be full, then that's less of an issue. We're traveling in March/April on weekdays.

So, with these parameters, any reason to choose on airline over another or one route over another? Flying SAA seems to make the most sense (going to South Africa, after all!) but I'm nervous about my partner changing in JNB after such a long flight.

Thoughts and experience with these routes? Thanks!

Dirk
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM

March/April - think snow in Detroit! ugh!

While the flights out of IAD or ATL have the longest segments, if you've never done these before be aware that anything over 8/hrs you will no longer feel the pain.

So, I'd go with either of these.

Then, if I had a choice between a Boeing (777) or Airbus (340), it would be the Boeing.

Now it's up to you.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Changing planes in Jo'burg shouldn't be much of a problem. It's not a huge airport like JFK or Chicago O'Hare, and arriving is pretty smooth. (Departing can be crowded and noisy and confusing, so arrive early enough when you're departing.)

Personally, I'd go with SAA because they're likely to have better wine, and sitting in misery two to a row with someone you know is better than sitting in misery three to a row with someone you don't know.

As to how full they'll be -- over the last thirty years, I've never been on a flight to SA that wasn't full. That may be changing a bit as more airlines are now flying there.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM

We had similar questions (leaving from NYC) but opted for Delta via Atlanta rather than SAA direct from JFK for the following reasons: Boeing 777 is a newer plane, I think it has better amenities than the Airbus; also a bit nervous about Airbus given all the recent incidents. We booked an aisle and window with the hopes that the flight will NOT be full (a Friday in November--so far its not very full at all.) But perhaps the biggest downside to the SAA flight is that the return flight stops in Dakar for an hour or more, at which time you cannot deplane nor can you sleep as they are cleaning the plane etc. This seemed torturous to me and ended up making the flight just as long as the Delta return.

Also the Delta flight was slightly less expensive for our booking.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM

What utter tosh about 777/Boeing and 340/Airbus.

Each airline has its own configuration, so the comfort and "amenities" (whatever that might be) depend far, far more on the airline than on the aircraft manufacturer.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Why don't you look at www.seatguru.com -- it will give you the seat width, pitch, and layout for each airline's configuration. Put your dates into the flight search and it will give the specific version and layout for the flights you're considering. For example the Delta flight from ATL to JNB is on a 777-200LR (30-31" pitch; 18" width), while the SAA flight from IAD is on an A340-600 (33-34" pitch, 17" width). You can also see what seats are actually available --for example, whether all the window pairs already been claimed.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank for the replies -

How much time is a good time between flights on JNB, doing an international arrival to a domestic transfer. Does that mean that luggage should meet domestic requirements rather than international requirements, or would it matter since it's booked through on one reservation?

As for specific comments, the windows pairs are wide open for my flights, so I'm good there.

Love the comment about anything over 8 hours not feeling the pain! That's true. Though my netbook battery is good only for 9. I guess the iPod will keep me going the rest of the way.

Doesn't Delta also refuel in Dakar on return? It looks like SAA is now stopping at Dakar on the way over, too, at least from Dulles.

The A340 pitch is nice, as is the 777 width. Oh well. Width is not as relevant for a 2 seat row with a companion, though.

I didn't think about Detroit and snow. Good call!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM

"Doesn't Delta also refuel in Dakar on return?"

No, Delta is nonstop to Atlanta from JNB. 16 hrs 34 min. The SAA flight with the stop in Dakar is 18 hr 45 min.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM

One thing with seat pitch which people sometimes forget is that some aircraft have thicker seat backs than others. Consequently, you may get a higher pitch figure but because of the thicker seat, your actual leg room is less. It would be much better if airlines were up front and gave you an actual measurement of leg room, but they won't.

Another thing is the horrible in flight entertainment boxes under some of the seats taking up more of your valuable leg room. You would think that with all our advances the aircrafts could be fitted out with something less intrusive.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Anything over 8 hours not feeling pain.
Well, at about 9 hours I'm afraid I'm going to die. After another hour I wish I would.
YMMV.

regards - tom
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM

>>Anything over 8 hours not feeling pain.
Well, at about 9 hours I'm afraid I'm going to die. After another hour I wish I would.
YMMV.