Search

Layover in JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover in JFK

Hi all,

We are flying to Dan Diego in November with Delta from Scotland. We have to change at JFK and have been given 1hour 40mins between arriving and departing. Is this enough time??

Many thanks in advance.
Andy
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:06 AM

The short answer is maybe, but I'd check with Delta and see if you can get an earlier plane into JFK or if you miss the second flight if there is a later flight, or you may end up staying overnight at JFK and taking a flight the following day.

JFK can be very difficult to get in and out of, if there is bad weather, late flights into or out of, which means problems getting gates. If you flight is late leaving San Diego or late arriving at JFK.

I think you can check your bags all the way through, but that could be a problem, if you miss the second flight.

Also getting through security can take a LONG time depending on day and time.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelbuff. I looked into book this again and as part of the journey this is what they are now offering! check this link : http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyb31/2933618687/

Thanks for your help. Our travel arranger is going to reply to us Monday and hopefully sort this out!
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
J62

The 1:40 layover at JFK is theoretically quite doable. Inbound long haul flights are subject to less delay than closer/domestic flights which works in your favor. It's not snow season yet, another plus. Both flights are on Delta, so you don't have far to go from arrivals, immigration/baggage claim/customs, baggage recheck, then back to departure gate.

The problem is what do you do if the incoming flight is late or there's a delay at immigration upon arrival? There are very few non-stop flights from JFK to SAN, and you are on the latest one (AA & JetBlue both fly the same route). I believe Delta only has the one non-stop a day.

You can get 2 stop flights through London/Chicago that give you more connection time, but that's a pain. You can get 1 stop on Continental with a longer layover (6hr?) in Newark - better chance of making your connecting flight but who wants to wait for 6hrs?

If I were making this flight I'd book the Delta thru JFK you already have, hope for the best, and have some contingency plan (i.e. hotel) in mind should I miss the connection. If you are missed connection averse, then I'd book CO through Newark and bring a good book or 2 to pass the time.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
yk

Last month, we flew into JFK from Brussels, and then transfer in JFK for a flight to Boston.

We had no delays whatsoever, no lines at immigration (we're US citizens), no checked luggage... It still took 1 full hour from the time the plane landed to the time we arrived at the departure gate for Boston.

Here are a few things for you to consider:
1) The arrival time of your flight usually indicates the time the plane lands, but it can easily be an additional 10 minutes of taxi time
2) If you are in the back of the plane, it can be another 10 minutes to deplane
3) I don't know how the terminal is for Delta, but for us, it was a 10-min walk from our gate to the immigration area
4) There is usually a line for non-US citizens at immigration (can't tell if you are US citizen or not)
5) If you have checked luggage, you have to claim it, go through customs, and then re-check it
6) Again, not sure how the Delta terminal is set up, but for American Airlines, after we left the customs section, we had to go through security check again in order to get to our gate for our Boston flight. The security line was about a 10-min wait.

Anyway, at least for us, everything went smoothly, but every single step can take 10 minutes or more. If one or more step had taken longer or gone wrong, it would have easily taken 1.5 hours or more.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM

I think your chances of making the flight are very small.

You have to clear immigration, pick up you luggage, go through customs, recheck you luggage and then go through security again. If you plane lands on time, if there are no other planes at the same time, if your luggage comes out quickly, if you are not picked for luggage inspection and if the security line is short you can make it.

IMHO the chances of all of those happening are very small. I would never take less than 3 hours to change flights at JFK if coming from abroad.

I would try now to switch to a later flight to SD - or, if that is the latest, plan now where you will spend the night near the airport.

Also, you might check the on-time record of your incoming flight as ammunition to get Delta to reschedule you.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for your help. We didn't think that this was enough time. Originally when we booked it we were arriving JFK at 1pm and flying out at 4.45pm. So had enough then. I will be on the phone to our arranger to get it sorted, there are a few options so hopefully will get it sorted ASAP!!

Thanks again!
Andy
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Hey again,

It's proving a bit more difficult to re-arrange our flight. Has anyone done what we are doing and do you know if we have to re-check our luggage to fly on to San diego? Our arranger reckons we can arrive get through customs and onto San diego plane in an hour or so.

Your help is much appreciated.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
yk

Anyone who flies INTO the US onboard an international flight, HAS TO reclaim their checked luggage before they can get through Customs.

After you exit the Customs Hall, there is an area where you can re-check your luggage.

I don't think re-checking your luggage will take much time, as it should have been tagged to SAN already. The issue is HOW LONG it'll take before your checked luggage comes out on the carousel at JFK?

If you can travel with only carryon luggage, your chance of making your connection is much better.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
J62

Your bags will be tagged all the way from EDI to SAN. US Customs procedures (at all airports) is that you claim your bags at your 1st entry into the US, pass through customs, then drop off your bags right as you exit customs. They will already be tagged to SAN, so you just drop and go. No lines to wait in to recheck bags.

Your concerns are:
1. on-time arrival and deplaning (sched arrival time is at the gate, not for landing)
2. immigration - wait for non-US citizens is longer
3. baggage claim - I find this is usually where I wait. Bags are never there waiting for me after I pass immigration control.

not to worry about
4. customs - typically very fast - you just show customs agent your declaration form, although they do reserve the right to check anyone's bags.

5. baggage recheck
6. walk to Delta domestic/security (if you are running late ask security agent or Delta agent to help you get through faster

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM

You don;t say who your "arranger" is - but I wold be very surprised if this is a legal connection going from an international to domestic flight.

Are you speaking to Delta directly? And do they say this is a legal connection under those conditions?

Since THEY changed the flight they really can;t refuse to ticket you on a flight with a reasonable amount of time. If the Delta agent gives you trouble - then ask for s supervisor - until you find one who is cooperative.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, this is helping. We booked through travelocity.co.uk. But everywhere away from travelocity i have looked this is the flight that Delta are offering from EDI to SANDiego. I have tried contacting delta direct but no response as of yet.

NY Traveler, how do you mean is this legal connection?
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
dmlove

nytraveler, are you thinking this isn't a "legal" connection because it's JFK specifically? Because we flew to Cairo this summer from Portland, and our connection time was only 1:05 in Frankfurt. This was a legal connection on Lufthansa,and we did miss it

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Legal connections are different at different airports - and under different circumstances.

For instance - at Heathrow - no connection under 120 minutes is legal.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, Ok I understand what you mean now. We got an email back from delta and they say that they are following industry guidelines and that 1hr 40mins is the minimum timescale to do what we have to do. I have this in writing so if we miss the plane then they will have to foot the bill!

Many thanks to you all for your advice. I feel a little at ease now.
Andy